Bundeswehr Neu Westfalen
| Federal Defence Forces of New Westfalen|
Bundeswehr Neu Westfalen
Insignia of the Bundeswehr
|Founded||19 August 1914|
|Current form||5 March 1925|
|Service branches|| Heer (Army)|
|Chancellor||Anna van der Sar|
|Minister of Defence||Gerald Ferdinand|
|Inspector General||Marco Hahn (Heer)|
| Available for
| 1,419,437 males, age 18-55, |
1,419,677 females, age 18-55
| Reaching military
| 35,400 males, |
|Budget||$6.54 billion (2017–2018)|
|Percent of GDP||2.9%|
|Domestic suppliers||List of major suppliers|
|Foreign suppliers|| United States|
|Annual exports||Approximately $174 million (2017)|
|History|| World War I|
2006 East Timorese crisis
Military intervention against ISIL
|Month Accredited||April 2014|
The Neu Westfalen Federal Defence Forces (German: Bundeswehr Neu Westfalen) are organized into Heer (Army), Marine (Navy) and Luftwaffe (Airforce) branches. It operates a technologically sophisticated defence force with an emphasis on Air and Naval assets. The Heer (including Special Forces) operates the largest share with 14,500 personnel, followed by the Marine with 8,850 personnel and the Luftwaffe with 7,150 personnel. The Bundeswehr also maintains another 7,000 Reserve personnel (37,500 total), making it the 4th largest military in Oceania; behind Australia, New Duveland and Calaré.
Neu Westfalen's area of strategic interest is primarily in the Pacific & Indian ocean regions. Practical defence of its overseas territory, the Spira Islands, relies heavily upon its close defence-relations with Australia, which allows Bundeswehr aircraft and warships free passage and the right to refuel (and vice versa). Today Neu Westfalen conducts regular training exercises with its defence partners Australia, New Duveland, Cattala, Siculia and New Zealand.
During the Cold War the Bundeswehr was primarily equipped with American and European military hardware, such as the American F-14 Tomcat Fighter-Interceptor and the British Harrier II V/STOL Strike Fighter. However since the collapse of the Soviet Union, Neu Westfalen has become increasingly critical of America's interventionist foreign-policies and relations soured somewhat. As a result Neu Westfalen strengthened its relations with many European nations and greatly developed relations with the Russian Federation.
The Bundeswehr was deployed to East Timor as part of operation Operation Astute between 2006 to 2013, which some claim was a continuation of their long-standing dispute with Indonesia. However the Neu Westphalian government maintained that its primary motivation was to maintain peace in the Pacific. Since then the Bundeswehr has continued supporting international disaster-relief operations, primarily around the Pacific region.
- In November 2013 the Bundeswehr deployed 2 C-130 Hercules tactical airlift aircraft, the Amphibious assault ship NWS Valhalla, the frigate NWS Valkyrie, 8 helicopters & 571 military personnel to assist victims of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
- In late November 2015, an Air Task Group consisting of 6 F-14E Tomcats, 6 Harrier GR-9s, 2 C-130 Hercules, 1 KC-130H tanker aircraft, 2 Embraer E-99 surveillance aircraft and 420 personnel were deployed to Kuwait, as part of the Ilium-led Joint-Alliance Task Force (JATF) to combat Islamic State forces in Iraq. A Naval Task Group consisting of two frigates (NWS Skaði & NWS Njörðr), the Amphibious assault ship NWS Valhalla, the Type-214 submarine NWS Leopard & the Replenishment oiler NWS Rindr also accompanied the first deployment. Combat support operations began on the 7th of December, whilst C-130 transport aircraft have also been used to conduct airdrops of humanitarian aid to civilians and to airlift arms and munitions to friendly forces.
- During the Asgard Separatist Crisis of October 2016 the Bundeswehr deployed additional Air, Naval & Air-Defence units to the Spira Islands as a contingency in case the situation escalated. The Luftwaffe conducted Combat Air Patrol (CAP) missions over the Indian Ocean during the crisis. Afterwards, Bundeswehr aid and reconstruction teams were sent to Nespirah Island to assist with its hurricane recovery efforts.
- On 7th August 2018 the Luftwaffe deployed two C-130 Hercules and one Kawasaki C-2 transport aircraft along with 18 tons of supplies and 80 search & rescue personnel to Nakama, in an effort to assist with recovery efforts after the Shiozawa earthquake and tsunami.
Given Neu Westfalen's geographic isolation, it has generally only required a small ground army (Heer); especially since the end of the cold war. It is primarily a mechanized-infantry force and specializes in amphibious operations, peacekeeping missions and disaster relief. In recent years it's capabilities have expanded to include a small missile-defense force, in the form of 16 Pantsir-S2E and 8 S-400 Triumf SAM batteries; most of which are positioned on the Spira Islands. The standard service rifle of the Heer is the Belgian FN F2000 Assault Rifle, which was introduced in 2006.
The Neu Westfalen Luftwaffe operates a variety of modern combat, transport and logistical aircraft. These aircraft are based at four primary airforce bases, each responsible for their own stragetic and civil defence area; Mt Lantea Airbase (North Westphalia), Evehalden Airbase (Central Westphalia), Lake Zollikon Airbase (South Westphalia) & Spira Military Base (Spira Overseas Territory).
The Luftwaffe's fleet of logistical transport aircraft are often deployed to aid in disaster relief efforts around the world. These aircraft are also vital to Neu Westfalen's military transport capabilities, providing crucial logistical support for the defence forces at home and abroad.
The Neu Westfalen Marine is considered a Green-water navy with the ability to provide coastal defence as well as sustaining operations in the open ocean. As an island nation, Neu Westfalen places a relatively high degree of importance on its maritime capabilities; in terms of both combat and non-combat roles.
- "Typhoon relief mission under way" Newstream Media (November 15, 2013)
- "It's official: Neu Westphalian government green-lights the fight against ISIL" Newstream Media (November 17, 2015)
- "Asgard Separatist Crisis" (October 22, 2016)