Re: Atlantic Federation | Official Updates Central

Post by Charlie » November 17th 2013, 1:42 am

Love those last pics, all the lights and everything! Love the CBD area! :D
Image Image Image Image
Will

Post by Will » November 20th 2013, 10:46 pm

Yay, ArrowJET! :D

I really like those night shots, they're stunning!
Spy9600
Nation: Atlantic Federation

Post by Spy9600 » November 21st 2013, 12:40 am

@Thomas:
Spy9600 wrote:Hey don't get me wrong. I am still going for the top excellency level possible, and I will get traffic going - It's just that I seriously had no idea that was an expectation from the public, knowing how problematic Simcity 4 is. If you have over 14GB of CC, you are afraid of growing things because they will greatly increase your CTD chances as traffic simulation starts to eat some of the available memory - I even had shadows turned off too. But I do know some serious anti-CTD tactics and I will continue my research on it.

This new generation of AF's updates is just starting, I really appreciated to hear such sincere criticism from Thomas right on the beginning because it shocked me how I'd never thought anyone would care so badly for that kind of detail. It was kinda predictable that the first updates shouldn't be the best, but I'll make sure to slowly increment AF until it becomes a world-class CJ.

I think demanding traffic is really picky, but I agree it looks just so much better - and it's pointless to get so much road infrastructure and NAM, RHW, if we aren't going to see a lot of traffic in it too. The public is kinda always right, and authors have to adapt. I personally want to please even the ones I rate as "picky" - but I will never be that picky myself.
Thomas wrote:Celeste is mostly plopped but I have traffic. You can grow residential sprawl in other cities to get traffic flowing.
And there are mods you can use, I think, and if you tinker with the game settings it improves it as well.
There is always a way, and if you can't be bothered to look for it, frankly, you're not going to get the best-looking cities. They'll be good for zombie updates though.

All I can say to that is "challenge accepted". Be aware you have created a monster. :D

Sorry Kevin for using your CJ area for saying all this. Tried to use up the least possible space.
I think that sums it up, except I will also look to dramatically improve how (lively) my row neighborhoods look. I agree they did look too empty. I could have at least placed some parked cars. Why not?

@Nat: Yes I made the clip! Thanks!
@City_Master: Thanks! :)
@Will: #AINSummit :P , and thanks!

Next we will be going to New Aquitaine's Blideau state, tiny town of Amiens.
Teaser!:
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » November 21st 2013, 12:49 am

Very nice, but I think the entrance sign is too fancy for a small town. :P Here in the US, all you get is a tiny green sign saying "[insert town name here]". :lol:
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
Will

Post by Will » November 21st 2013, 1:09 am

Nice teaser! Looks a bit dark in the middle though? Maybe it's just me. :P
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

Post by Thomas » November 21st 2013, 4:52 pm

I like the road sign idea! It's a bit blurry around the lorry though. :P
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » November 21st 2013, 11:09 pm

I knew I shouldn't try that motion blur.
#TooMuchPhotoshop
Kevin
Nation: Corraile

Post by Kevin » November 23rd 2013, 5:46 am

Liking your work so far!

I do have a couple of concerns I want to bring up though. I agree with Thomas on the liveliness issue (I'm working to address the problem myself) but I think I want to bring it a step further, with a sense of variety from house to house. I understand it's council housing and thus all of them are the same as the next, but it might be prudent to vary the lots a bit in terms of props, trees and whatnot, or even the colour of the buildings, if it's possible that is. If it isn't, then don't bother with what I've said above.

Next, the general layout of the city. I'm a bit perplexed by how rows and rows of housing pop up in the middle of undeveloped land, not connected to each other and a bit separated from the city. Having been to (and now living in) the sort of city that St. George would be like, usually developments occur adjacent to each other, like a general outgrowth of the city, to create a contiguous urban environment rather than isolated pockets of it. Plus it makes commuting and transportation, as well as civic services, more efficient and effective.

That's just constructive criticism. Aside from that, I like what you're doing! :)
[centre]Image[/centre]
[centre]Image Image Image Image Image[/centre]
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » November 23rd 2013, 2:15 pm

This is what I'm trying to make Northern Veratlantia to look like:

and futurely:

Northern Veratlantia's (and northern Atlantic Federation [part of New Aquitaine, NV, Libraëra, and part of the Veratlantian Republic]) model style is the following:
City Center is modeled aftern the Veratlantian CBD standard of griddy (and by Veratlantian I mean The Free Republic of Veratlantia and Northern Veratlantia - not necessarely AF (Veratlanteans) -
except cities like to build neighborhoods separated from the center. Each residential row block neighborhood is represented by a Vereator in the city council, they are their own communities with their own rules, like no honking after 22:00, or no pubs allowed, etc. This is something that will be visible over time as I build more and more NV cities and do wiki work on it. The trees also leave some space for revisions, meaning to add new civic buildings as I find them. The color repeating is also a trait of Northern Veratlantia style. However, I like the suggestions and I might end up changing that - I will certainly vary the lots (with trees, empty parking lots, fenced bastketball courts, but the houses in a block must look the same. I know the UK is not all made up of row homes, but Northern Veratlantia sort of is. As I work on the History of AF and NV it will become easier to understand, I hope. There will be less dense suburbs though. The idea is that NV is very brick-made, and Atlantis will be a mixture of New York and London - giving emphasis to stone and brick buildings. Image

Thanks for the tips and criticism Kevin - it certainly has influenced me to revise that style, and how I can make it look more like similar real life examples. :)
Libraëra, also in Northern AF has the same row preference for neighborhoods, but there they are a continuation of the city and they are colorful instead:

Victöria, Libraëritan Commonwealth:
Atlantis, Northern Veratlantia:
St. George, Northern Veratlantia:
Thomas

Post by Thomas » November 23rd 2013, 3:57 pm

The thing with those British suburbs and the sprawl of repetition that we have, is that it does vary a bit. A lot of your areas, like in the St George and Atlantis pictures, are square blocks with repeated buildings.

The best example I know of personally is Crouch End, a Victorian sprawl area in north London. You can see from my Google Maps annotations that there are many different street layouts and it's not all just one-way, square blocks. It needs to be a bit more organic than that, I think.

The best way to build the suburbs is to have small, shapely parks between towns and villages that sprawl out in random patterns.
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » February 2nd 2014, 5:05 pm

Well after being struck with the heavy load of Simcity city building complications that seems endless, I've decided to go for an A.F. Spin-off. This will be a fiction series supposedly aired by VBN on the Federation, and it will mostly be a written novel, but it will occasionally feature in-game shots. This is an attempt to get inspired to build ingame again after having to revise a lot of my city-building skills...

So here it is:

[centre]Image
[/centre]

When a mad scientist builds a machine to control the forces of nature, who will be able to stop him? Who will want to stop him?

It was one of those clichés dark, cloudy nights when Professeur Mark Verten entered his laboratory in the 5th floor of the 2nd Environmental & Biological Sciences Research Complex of the University of Galiston. All his drawers were empty. Nothing on his table. His computers gone. One note left behind on the floor: "Tomorrow, the World"
This was not an ordinary theft. He practically knew who was behind it. Professeur Vander Ursel, nicknamed "Pr. Vu". Kicked from the University 8 years ago for conducting dangerous experiments without authorization. Mark's friend since he was five. His dream was to play god and control the seasons. This was no case for the police.

Characters from all over AIN will search for this mad scientist's final solution... But with different interests in mind.

An Okataian multi-billionaire, head of the largest trust in Asia the Yellow Flower Group...
A Lower Columbian teacher, another close friend of Professeur Mark...
A Cattalian priest, member & agent of the Secret White Guard Order of Amosseri...
A Croisian journalist, in vacations after being fired from her past job at The Federale...
A Hiijaran Ambassador, and his team of spies...
A Corrailite tech genius, ready to get rich...
and more...

Oh, and also, the fate of one hundred million Veratlanteans.

Today the Federation, tomorrow...

[right]D I S C L A I M E R
Notice how all the facts, names and characters are previously mentioned as fictious,
and non-roleplay. Thus, no direct permission is needed and no copyrights (if you will) are infringed.
Because it's all a work of fiction anyways.[/right]
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » February 2nd 2014, 5:30 pm

Ooh, I love the idea! :D Great work, Spy! Can't wait! :D

P.S. You never needed permission anyways. :P It's a fictitious work; even if it were real, it doesn't involve any governments, so it's totally fine... :P
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
Thomas

Post by Thomas » February 2nd 2014, 6:38 pm

I don't think we have samurai/special forces priests in Cattala. As much as I'd like to have that. I think you'll need a priest, or a White Guard. Can't be one and the same. :P
IRE505

Post by IRE505 » February 7th 2014, 7:48 pm

Looks awesome! :D Can't wait to see more!

Return to “Atlantic Federation”