Editorials & Work in Progress

By Spy9600
Image Motto: Freedom, Justice and Union
InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Re: AAM | Author's Activity Monitor & Work in Progress

Post by InvaderNat » February 13th 2014, 4:45 am

Emir wrote:Based on the name of the republic, the Iberian Republic, I was assuming it was more southern European-styled, which is slightly less developed which would explain the lower development compared to other AF republics. But what you say still doesn't make sense; even if the south has a greater African population and the region supports more left-wing parties, that's nothing more than a correlation. A number of countries in Africa, for example, have religious right-wing parties in power despite being demographically & economically similar to the said region in AF. You specifically said that demographics also determines political support and then went on to talk about "hood mentality", and that's racial prejudice. There is absolutely no reason to make any such assumptions.
I'm sure from previous updates he explained it has a large African population (or "African-Atlantian" I assume they would be called in the AF :lol:). In Europe for example you frequently see Leftist parties monopolizing support amongst minority groups. I don't mean to single out African people in particular, as it's often the same with most minority groups worldwide. So yes, demographics do determine political allegiances in that sense, not just economics.
InvaderNat wrote:If you meant "victimhood mentality" and not "hood mentality", why put a space between the words "victim" and "hood"? You could've worded it slightly different so we would understand clearly what you're trying to say. Regardless, I'm not sure how many non-prejudiced people would take this much note of a correlation between demographics and political ideology, which is why I was worried.
Lol, yes it was one word. :lol: But you don't have to be prejudiced to notice the correlation, just look at the results of almost any election in the Western world these days. The correlation is obvious and pretty hard to miss (a bit of an elephant in the room in fact).
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

Post by Thomas » February 13th 2014, 5:34 pm

I don't think it needs a subforum, just a thread for Nat and Emir to stretch their ideological muscles... :P
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » February 13th 2014, 10:53 pm

Thomas wrote:I don't think it needs a subforum, just a thread for Nat and Emir to stretch their ideological muscles... :P
What can I say? :P

Joseph Stalin versus Chiang Kai-shek... :lol: :devil:
InvaderNat wrote:I'm sure from previous updates he explained it has a large African population (or "African-Atlantian" I assume they would be called in the AF :lol:). In Europe for example you frequently see Leftist parties monopolizing support amongst minority groups. I don't mean to single out African people in particular, as it's often the same with most minority groups worldwide. So yes, demographics do determine political allegiances in that sense, not just economics.
Okay, NOW I see what you mean. :P In developed countries, yes, left-wing parties/movements do try to appeal to minorities on the basis of discrimination. As you and I have demonstrated repeatedly, the right generally calls for "freedom of speech" which appeals to the majority population while the left generally calls for "anti-discriminatory protection", which appeals to minorities. I was initially concerned because the wording implied prejudice with regards to race and political allegiances... (especially since, as I said before, there are countries where the minorities you mentioned vote for rightist governments)
InvaderNat wrote:Lol, yes it was one word. :lol: But you don't have to be prejudiced to notice the correlation, just look at the results of almost any election in the Western world these days. The correlation is obvious and pretty hard to miss (a bit of an elephant in the room in fact).
But again, correlation doesn't mean causation. :P I never said anything about noticing the correlation, I was only concerned about reading into it too much...

I obviously disagree with your view of "victimiser communists", but I'd rather not get into that. :P
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
Spy9600
Nation: Atlantic Federation

Post by Spy9600 » March 2nd 2014, 6:24 pm

While I plan to explain all of that further, and announce the next history article is almost ready, I would like to offer a teaser of yet another fresh interior-update, the Aquitanese town of;

Marianne
Anglia State, New Aquitaine.
Founded; 1867
Pop (Metro); 71,000
Department: 167th
(The departments are the actual ones!)

Marianne is bidding for the AIN Lillies 2014, my first attempt at hosting an event in this modern-era AIN, a good exercise for A.F. while it prepares to bid for the AIN Games.

RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » March 2nd 2014, 6:35 pm

That looks too good! D: :(

I need to step up my game if I'm going to compete with that... D:

Great work, Spy! :D Very beautiful!
Fox
Nation: Illium

Post by Fox » March 3rd 2014, 6:58 am

Indeed very beautiful .. the water front looks great.. very envious.
Coming soon, new information.
Spy9600

Editorials & Work in Progress

Post by Spy9600 » March 6th 2014, 1:15 am

@Thanks everyone for dropping your coin!

Don't freak out about Marianne folks, there will be a real good excuse behind that, and the city does have house suburbs around the area. The venue is not in the main picture of the city either, but it's ready, you can find it in the wiki.

May we proceed... :!:

Liberators City

Still working with canals, the picture below is a concept art shot of how I want the East Coast cities on the Alianta Straight to look like. That is supposed to be a random residential neighborhood close to downtown. It mixes lots from Hong Kong and New York, with very little of Tokyo styled buildings. In the coming re-works of Galiston and Liberators City, I intend to make them look griddy and dense, with a complex use of NAM and RHW, something the previous versions of both cities were very lacking on. With over 25 different buildings ranging from tall 1x1 to 3x4 residentials like the below, and a set of New York-like small corner stores - all of them real high-quality, I plan to put Liberators City back on the table, exploring the city in roleplay and AIN events. The main goal is to eliminate what I call "green trash", spots of raw undeveloped land here and there that reminds us this is Simcity. In the picture I used an elevated rail that has fences and a concrete path under it, hiding the grass below it. Contrary to most Simcity players, I love grids, and though I'm going to try to make downtown look complicated and Tokyo like, I will still prefer to hide the green-trash from the screen completely. If I have to go griddy for that, I will.

RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Re: Editorials & Work in Progress

Post by RedAurora » March 6th 2014, 1:31 am

Looks great! :D

For what is probably the first time, Hong Kong-style buildings look good in a western nation. :D

Nice work!
Kevin
Nation: Corraile

Post by Kevin » March 6th 2014, 1:37 am

I love it! It's amazing how so many styles can come together and look completely natural :)
[centre]Image[/centre]
[centre]Image Image Image Image Image[/centre]
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » March 6th 2014, 4:14 am

Many different styles mixed together, I love it! :D
Image Image Image Image
Piterdaw1

Post by Piterdaw1 » March 6th 2014, 2:25 pm

So much colours! I love it! Did you used photoshop, or it is an effect directly from SimCity?
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

Post by Thomas » March 6th 2014, 7:02 pm

Amazing! One of my favourite AF pictures EVER!

The building combinations are second-to-none. And there's traffic - everything I dream of in a city.
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Post by InvaderNat » March 6th 2014, 10:12 pm

Hey I like the idea, should be good if you can pull it off. Do you happen to know what that particular canal / river mod is? I've been looking for one like that for ages (one with a grass embankment instead of walls). :O
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » July 19th 2014, 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone :) . Those are very good news to me that you liked it... I've been trying to modernise my city-designing for a while now, and it looks like I'm on the right track... :whew:

@Piterdaw1: Photoshop was used to create that effect... :D
@InvaderNat: I don't know if you already found it, but I will look it up in buildingplop and I will tell you as soon as I find it since I've been building these days... ;)

Like everything posted here, this is a WIP/Concept Art pic (in this case WIP), my second mosaic ever, of a picture to be used soon in the news. Here I tried to directly illustrate the difference between AF's nation-states. This may help to continue the previous debate too :D

Two Cities featured:
Serra Negra & North Blackhill
Wikilinks will be available soon!

RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » July 19th 2014, 6:57 pm

Ooooh... very interesting how you've made border towns. :D

In all honesty, though, I think both of the cities are a bit repetitive and the sprawling is a bit abrupt, so you should perhaps work on a smoother urban/suburban/rural transition. :)

Also, why exactly is there a border control between two internal republics of AF? Even if it isn't an actual border control, those booths are rather unnecessary I think.

Return to “Atlantic Federation”