Atlantic Federation | OFFICIAL UPDATES

By Spy9600
Image Motto: Freedom, Justice and Union
Spy9600
Nation: Atlantic Federation

Atlantic Federation | OFFICIAL UPDATES

Post by Spy9600 » May 2nd 2013, 9:04 pm

[centre]Hello, following the massive progress made with Operation Terranova (big thanks to Nat), and the AF's approaching landmark of 5 years in existence, I've decided to start building the AF again, with all the knowledge I've gathered in all these WIP and CTD rage months.

I will try to make it realistic, but I will also adapt it to Simcity's limitations, and my own skills and desire. I will try to sell my own brand of realism, one that is not extreme, but still indispensable to some extent. I hope this new approach to building let's me cover a lot of the Federation, and I have plans to bring it to Simtropolis, after one previous failed attempt in 2013. Hopefully I can help stir some interest in going back to in-game endeavours, and who knows, use the AF to promote AIN abroad. I'm confident that it will look appealing to at least a small handful of people.

As I said before, I'll have a pragmatic approach to building, I will not seek absurdly realistic cities, but instead I will build my cities with roleplay and the wiki in mind. They will be built ready to bid for Alliance and even international events, as well as I will try to make them reflect the bigger picture they are part of (the AF that is) - How the way the AF works and its diversity and geography shape its cities and its people. Wiki support will definitely be part of this pragmatic approach.

I hope you enjoy, but keep in mind, this time, upgrading and improvements will be made slowly, not to grind the CJ development and my hopes of using it abroad. That said, I have the pleasure to relaunch the Atlantic Federation's Update Central!
[/centre]

[centre]:party:[/centre]
[centre]PS: Don't be too harsh, I'm returning to SimCity, something people don't do everyday these days. :P[/centre]
Spy9600

Re: Atlantic Federation | 001

Post by Spy9600 » April 8th 2015, 7:07 pm

Hello, my name is Julia Aetèrins, and I live in Lindena. I was not born here, me and my parents are actually from the Libraëritan Commonwealth, thus my weird surname. I'm 19 years old and I ended up here. I'm going to show you around.

Lindena is very... small-time. It's what Veratlantians call a "trucksville". A small "city" - and everything is a city in Leonese English - just off an exit of a state highway, that probably started off as a place of rest for truck drivers somewhere back in the 1950's.

It's grown quite a bit. Give it two more decades and I can totally see this becoming yet another Veratlantian "Townsville". Ironically that's what they call their mid-sized cities, like Dalston. Square blocks, with tall, glassy buildings in the centre, arranged in a ridiculous and unnecessarily dense fashion. Veratlantian cities get dense really fast, people tell me the government wants it that way, and land here is very, very expensive.

You may be asking yourself what is that modern looking and extremely-expansive-to-up-keep "heliport". It's a Civil Defense base, because the Atlantic Federation is paranoid with natural disasters and loves to waste money on those. Maybe not waste, but they build those everywhere!

The city center is pretty basic too, and a few buildings are commonplace. We happen to be the seat of the 221st Department, and we have several Federally run buildings here. There's a Federal Rural College and even a Federal Police base just on the other side of the street from our own local police station. The Terciary is funded by the state government, where I finished my last year of high school.

There is not much to do here, but it certainly doesn't feel like the middle of nowhere. There are many great bars and restaurants to go and the people always come up with some event for the town to get together every month or so. 4G works great too.

Sundays at twilight are especially boring, every place is closed down. You'll notice that there are no churches in town. Here in the Veratlantian Republic very few people have a "religion" per say. It's very different from the North. Most people are "spiritual" or follow some kind of philosophy, but they hate to talk about it. Religion is something to keep private - and churches are just too much. Usually only very old or big cities have them. A lot of Veratlantians are just plain-out atheists, that doesn't seem to be shocking here like in the North.

But like they love to say, 'Veratlantia is Veratlantea', and football is loved here just as much as in the North, or the South. Just in my backyard lies one of the three fields we have. In the Veratlantian Republic, there is this thing that boys and girls just play together in whatever team. Football here is mixed. This was pretty weird for me at first, but it seems to work pretty fine.

Veratlantians eat out a lot, that is not very expensive here. Like I was told before coming here, there are a lot of "Kilos" here too; restaurants in which you pick whatever foods you want from a course and pay for the weight of it all combined, minus the dish itself. We don't have a lot of those in Libraëra, but they are very popular everywhere else in the AF and even in Galbadia, a friend told me. This way they can serve food from the entire Federation without having to be a thematic restaurant. Truckers surely love them. Cheap, tasty, self-service (no tips! no wait!) and almost as fast as fast-food.

When not eating, a lot of Lidenans like to come to the State Field, just a plain grassy area the city can't zone because it's part of the land bought by Amerion for the motorway. We are building a garden there with our hands though. I love the sunny, warm but dry afternoons in the Leonese countryside.

I guess this is it. I will soon be going to Dalston, I can take you there if you want to come with.

InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Re: Atlantic Federation | OFFICIAL UPDATES

Post by InvaderNat » April 8th 2015, 9:27 pm

Glad to see the fix is working, seems to have brought a new wave of enthusiasm to your game-play i.e. not having to rage and curse at Maxis every time it crashes and erases all your work. (Or at least that's what I used to do). :P I really like all the little mmp work you added around the township, I'm still working on improving in that area.
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » April 21st 2015, 8:10 pm

[centre]Happy to announce that the AF is now on Simtropolis too!
:drunk: :party:[/centre]
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » April 25th 2015, 7:10 pm

Simtropolis Update | 001 is out!
The AF is also featured in at Simtropolis' home page! :party:

[centre]Image

There is a lot more there! Including narration![/centre]
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

Post by kendallhart808 » October 19th 2015, 12:53 am

Not sure where to ask this but I have one question. I was reading through your wiki, and I'm a bit confused because I see there's like a federal government but you refer to your states like their independent countries, so how does that work?
Agunter999
Nation: Freiga

Post by Agunter999 » October 21st 2015, 6:56 am

Not all federations of of the same yolk, the levels of indep3ndenve vary between different feserations of which some regard themselves as a group of countries with similar identities and goals. You cannot in international politics just say oh this isn't what I know it looks odd. Especially when trying to get into our union, the world is not just like the united states and this form of government is viable.
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » October 21st 2015, 7:45 am

I'm not too familiar with how the AF is structured, but I'm assuming it's a bit like The U.K with England, Scotland etc and how they're represented as a kind of a 'country of countries'.
Image Image Image Image
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance

Post by kendallhart808 » October 22nd 2015, 5:19 am

Agunter999 wrote:Not all federations of of the same yolk, the levels of indep3ndenve vary between different feserations of which some regard themselves as a group of countries with similar identities and goals. You cannot in international politics just say oh this isn't what I know it looks odd. Especially when trying to get into our union, the world is not just like the united states and this form of government is viable.
I'm not saying that I think everything is like the US, I'm trying to understand the country. I've never fully understood how the UK works and may not until I study Internaitonal Politics in College, but they might be one of our closest neighbors so I want to understand how to country works.
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Nation: Teiko

Post by jmsepe » October 22nd 2015, 6:56 am

Teiko is also a federal government albeit with a centralized structure and is very different from both US and UK or even AF.
Image What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?

EXPERIENCE AND DEDICATION
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance

Post by kendallhart808 » October 22nd 2015, 11:47 pm

Thank You for that! I want to understand the members governments before I enter the AoIN
Spy9600

Post by Spy9600 » November 15th 2015, 12:47 am

At the moment I can't sit down to talk about this, but there's been some information on how the AF works for a while, hope it helps:

It's basically this:

[centre]FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
(European Union on steroids or a looser United Kingdom)[/centre]

[centre]NATION-STATES
Republics, as in, they are a nation, assigned a territory and given autonomy by the Federation. A bunch of Scotlands, Catalonias and Galicias, with a representative army, president, ministries, legislative and inner states, but under a common currency, and under a common, federal, army command, for example.[/centre]

[centre]STATES
States, like American states in a way, but they are recognized by both their National governments and the Federal Government. One distinction is that States are allowed to have a State Guard, a paramilitary organization to that responds to the Governor. See the Army of Texas. This is so because in Veratlantean/Galistonian Thought, the military - regardless if it is just one unarmed person representing it or an actual force is an essential part of the State or any type of government-like organization.[/centre]

[centre]MUNICIPALITIES & DEPARTMENTS
Cities are just smaller divisions of the States, in which people happen to live. They are called municipalities, and like mentioned above, they have a municipal guard. This is not to say every inch of the Federation is guarded by multiple armies - these State and Municipal guards are often just like the Swiss Guard is to the Vatican. They guard museums, public buildings and borders. Interestingly enough, Municipalities can close their borders for a limited amount of time.

Departments are the divisions of the Federation as a whole, these are groupings of Municipalities and this is how the Federal government directly interacts with cities. This is how the Police forces are organized too.[/centre]

Here's some information taken directly from the Wiki, 1st page:
  • The Atlantic Federation works under its own version of Federalism, with its "4th Level" of government and all of its legal structures were largely influenced by the Galistonian Revolution in the 1800's. Uniting the entire Veratlantean Mainland under one government and one banner was the dream and goal of numerous post-independence politicians. Many attempts were made, such as the Greater Veratlantean Union, but all failed, due to an excessively central model of government that did not reflect the political and cultural complexities of the region. It was only in 1913 that all 6 modern Veratlantean States agreed to form the Union of the Veratlantean States, an egalitarian, federal and uniform political union, with very few special rights to individual Member Nations. As a matter of fact, all Nation States were required to adopt a standard design for their Coat of Arms and stick with the Veratlantean Banner style, the only exception being Northern Veratlantia, which was allowed to keep an alternative coat of arms in addition to the Veratlantean version.

Among other characteristics of the U.V.S. are its institutional disgust for religious interference observed in its historically strict secularist policies, its preference for republican and presidentialistic system, its adoptance of a mainly Civil Law structure and its unique Galistonian influences on the Judiciary system and Executive system.
    With time, the Union of Veratlantean States proved it was functional able to please all of its Nation States. However stable it was, the extensive cultural differences and the various language barriers within the Union were major obstacles in the creation of a common national identity. The Federation was received with a lot of skepticism at the early years of its foundation, but the outbreak of World War I just a year after the consolidation of the UVS and later World War II greatly helped to support the arguments that the Veratlantean States had to remain united or else be fragile in face of the world.

The national identity became stronger in the 1950's and especially during the Cold War, when the UVS became central in the United States' post-war economic programmes to fend off communist ideals in the Veratlantean Mainland. With a steady income of investment and a systematic strengthening of its economy, academia and government, the UVS started to address regional inequality and development disparities between the rich north and the underdeveloped south. During the 1970's, the UVS underwent a extensive political reforms, anti-corruption crackdowns and massive infrastructure and educational investment drives. The period was known as the Tricolour Reforms, under emblematic president Marianne Richard. In the following decades, it became clear that the UVS, for many times nicknamed the "Atlantic Federation" by Ms. Richard, was going to be a major world power.
that and

Politics and Government of the Atlantic Federation
IRE505

Post by IRE505 » November 15th 2015, 11:02 am

Interesting, I am thinking of something similar to this for my side nation, Hibernia. The idea of nations within a nation...
Thanks for the clarification :)
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance

Post by kendallhart808 » November 17th 2015, 2:54 am

Oh neat. Thanks :)

Return to “Atlantic Federation”