Exhibition | Night Fever

One of the four winners of the Cultural Capital bid!

Moderator: Director of Culture

Gregor
Nation: Oka

Exhibition | Night Fever

Postby Gregor » July 6th 2018, 9:17 pm

06.07.2018 - 09.09.18 The Oda Foundation for Design | Night-fever

From the late 1960s to early ’70s, the Floor 55 in Oka City was a beacon of pleasure in Oishi a nightclub where flamethrowers and jugglers plied their art amidst a backdrop of strobe lights and grainy home movies that were projected on the walls. But while the glory days of Oka City’s famous nightclubs from those years are long gone, the impact the club as an institution has had on the city is far from over. That’s because clubs aren’t just a place to dance the night away. They also play a role in the economic and cultural wealth of cities, woven just as deeply into the urban fabric as more highbrow cultural institutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkypZuY6ZvA

______

If daytime was dedicated to work, night time was dedicated to fun, and letting steam off,and no where else than in Oka city was that true. Place of taboo, anything was allowed and quickly after a strong generation gap was affirmed as the night was the scene of a sexual revolution

Okataians for the first time left behind the strict rule of Tansei and Confusianism to meet other people freely, there was one night stands, flings, mixed race relations, at night anything was possible

_____

"It was a time when people were focused on absorbing everything from music, culture and fashion. There was a sense of hunger for everything that was new and different," says Takeo Ondua executive producer of Night of the Living Discoheads, a 2012 OTV documentary that attempts to recapture the essence of the "golden era"

_____

"We used to make real fun," says Takeo. "Nowadays kids sit on the couch, talking or sending messages - what's the difference between that and a conference?"

"It was the total united nations of revelry and one amazing experiment - unique, glitzy, brash, modern, pioneering," says Shearer, who now works as a make-up artist in Auckland, New Zealand.

"I feel extremely privileged to have lived out that chunk of my youth there."

Oka City AIN Cultural Capital 2018
InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Re: Exhibition | Night Fever

Postby InvaderNat » July 6th 2018, 10:09 pm

Yuk, not for me thanks. They probably did alot drugs and spread alot of STDs too. I'd rather my kid be a phone addict. :P

Can't some people have fun without being sleazy? :puke: Sadly not in this world, great presentation though. :up:

Return to “Cultural Capital 2018 | Oka City”