A Proposal to Reform the Roleplay and Non-roleplay Administration of the Alliance

jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Nation: Teiko

A Proposal to Reform the Roleplay and Non-roleplay Administration of the Alliance

Post by jmsepe » May 18th 2018, 9:31 am

It's been a while since there was a discourse in the future of AIN. I would like to help Stan in his initiative.

This shall be known as "A Proposal to Reform the Roleplay and Non-roleplay Administration of the Alliance". This is not a bill and therefore should not be taken as a legislative piece. This is merely an outline of points which I believe would help eradicate bureaucracy in the Alliance. The final version which shall be submitted to the senate will come soon after discussions. In in the meantime, I hope the following can spark discourse among members.

Definition of Terms
1. Roleplay Administration refers to the Alliance Council and all others that are involved in canon roleplay between member states of the Alliance of Independent Nations.
2. Non Roleplay Administration refers to the overall oversight of the Alliance forum, wiki, members et al.
3. Alliance Council refers the General Assembly and the Agencies

Proposals.
1. Creating a clear demarcation between roleplay administration and non-roleplay administration. As it currently stands, there is a bit of a thin line separating the two of them. I believe that the difference between the two should be made clearer.

2. Removal of the Executive Council, to be replaced by three equal forum administrators. These administrators would be responsible for the day to day operations of the forum, wiki and others. Each admin would have a key results area e.g. admin 1 is responsible for the forum management, admin 2 is responisble for wiki management, admin 3 is responsible for mediating between members. Global moderators can also be discussed but I don't see the need for them in this new structure. These new admins would have a tenure of 1 year and should have a performance evaluation every after end of their term. In this sense, the members still have a say in the selection of the admins.

3. Creation of an Alliance Council. Instead of an EC, we should make use of the AC which is responsible in shaping Alliance activity and roleplay. I propose that a General Secretary and Deputy General Secretary be established which shall be responsible in keeping the Alliance Council active and in check. Both positions including the Directors and agency subunits shall all be in roleplay names e.g. Sennouza Kou is running the AEA instead of jmsepe. This ensures that the AC focuses solely on the roleplay administration of the Alliance. Hence, during elections, member states should be voting for a persona and not the member.

4. Incentivize activity, we should recognize active members and those who have contributed to AIN by either building a reputation system or creating programs like member highlight.

For now, these are the talking points I have in mind. I will continue to add when the need arises.
Image What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?

EXPERIENCE AND DEDICATION
Jost Van Kortag

Re: A Proposal to Reform the Roleplay and Non-roleplay Administration of the Alliance

Post by Jost Van Kortag » May 18th 2018, 11:35 am

The one between roleplaying and non-roleplaying administration is a distinction that has to be done imo, and this looks like a nice solution so I totally support it.
ulisse
Director of Infrastructure
Director of Infrastructure
Nation: Siculia

Re: A Proposal to Reform the Roleplay and Non-roleplay Administration of the Alliance

Post by ulisse » May 18th 2018, 11:58 am

You have my support
Member State Since 10th December 2015 Director of Public Services From March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 - Director of Culture Since March 1, 2018 - Director of Infrastructure Since 1, 2018
stanisolt
Nation: Amuria

Post by stanisolt » May 18th 2018, 1:41 pm

These are all points that I wanted to bring up at the next reformation bill, so you have my full support! There needs to be a simplification of the administration of AIN and these are all great. As a sidenotr, it should be important that these changes be instituted once the terms of the current administration are ended. It’s only fair that way. :)
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy
Gregor
Nation: Oka & Malerno

Post by Gregor » May 18th 2018, 3:36 pm

Here's my two cents'

1,2,3 are fine to me

4 : One one hand I like this idea of "rp" points or rep but I cast a small doubt on a ranking system honestly.. we are a very small union who know eachother well enough not to need points like on ST and run the risk of bitter rivalries

I am however interested in personal titles that are given depending on the type of RP or amount
_____________ Image Oka City AIN Cultural Capital 2018
stanisolt

Post by stanisolt » May 18th 2018, 3:38 pm

Gregor wrote:I am however interested in personal titles that are given depending on the type of RP or amount
This is an interesting idea I like better than the points system ;)
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics

Post by jmsepe » May 18th 2018, 7:21 pm

Thanks guys for the support! I think if things go well, I can present the draft of the bill by next month. Since this is a major change. I think this will require a major writing of certain parts of the Alliance Charter. :lol:
Image What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?

Nanami
Nation: Nakama & Karasem

Post by Nanami » May 20th 2018, 6:13 pm

Support it.. point givens are clear
Meriah 2019 - Spirit of AIN Serika 2020 - Discover the Future
Michael
President of the Alliance
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » May 20th 2018, 8:48 pm

This is an important one, so I hope reply doesn't seem like too much of an essay.

I do agree with JM that the line between role play and non-roleplay administrations at the top is currently blurred. With agencies, I think it is fine as is, in that members stand for election, but they carry out their work under a role-play pseudonym. I know JM does this with the AEA, and would highly encourage other directors to do the same. This practice, to the best of my knowledge, isn't currently enshrined in the Charter, so perhaps a very short clause to ensure this, should perhaps be considered?
Now with the EC, it is the case currently that the VP heads up the Alliance Council (role-play) and the President heads up the EC (non-roleplay). The EC, like the Committee of Trustees, has no standing in the role-play world of the Alliance. The VP is officially the Director General of the General Assembly and Alliance Council, and so I see no reason why we cannot enshrine a similar clause for the VP as we should for the directors, in that they conduct their work fictionally leading the Alliance under a pseudonym.
Now the President is a role purely in non-role play, in that its Chief purpose is to be the lead administrator and to head up the EC. Therefore, the President should remain elected as the member, and not a pseudonym.

In order to better define the split between role-playing and non-roleplay, I would like to propose the following:
  • The President remains elected and leads the administration of the Alliance. The VP is no longer part of the EC, due to the separation of powers. The EC is therefore made up of; the President, two further administrators, and the Speaker. I would like to suggest that the two additional administrators remain appointed. Not only would it allow for the right people with the right skills to be in the role, but would also ensure we don't end up in the trap of having elections for every position of authority. Sometimes, we need to trust our officials to make decisions on their own, and hey, if you don't like it, don't re-elect them, or in a union as small as ours, raise the issue with them personally.
  • The Vice President is completely separate from non-role play activity, and they would head the Alliance Council under a new title of Director General, or something similar. They would, as JM suggested, lead role-play and activity in the Alliance Council, and as all other Directors (and Commissioners for that matter), act under a pseudonym.
  • The Speaker is a more difficult one. There would need to be two sides, which could (in terms of workload) be done by one person, but equally, on ideological terms, might want to be split and given to two people. Firstly, the Speaker of the Alliance, like the President, acts as a member and moderates the Senate, which is a non-role play legislature. This side of the job doesn't change. Currently, there is no leader in the General Assembly, and the Speaker has jurisdiction there as a non-role play moderator. Therefore, I would suggest a new role, where a member acts, like directors and the VP, under a pseudonym, to lead and moderate the General Assembly, as the roleplay Leader. I haven't thought of a name for this role. Having two Speakers would be confusing, so something else perhaps, but equally, if the same person carries out the job, then Speaker might work.
A few other minor small points.
  • Global Moderators. They perform an important role, but I think we should discuss with our two current GMs as to their future. We certainly shouldn't plot that for them, but I would very much be in favour of keeping GMs.
  • On elections, I think we should extend the 'pseudonym' principle, and that Directors, and the VP should stand election as their pseudonym, with only the President and Speaker standing on a personal mandate. It would, however, be important to remain aware as to the member behind the pseudonym, due to the fact that the member would still be the one technically with the role (if that makes sense). I would also like to suggest that we vote for these positions on the basis of nation, as they are role-playing positions. However, with Speaker and President remaining member votes (due to their non-role play standing), this may get confusing. Perhaps voting for all as a member, and not as a nation, might be better?
  • Incentivising activity, through whatever means, is legally a separate issue and should be discussed separately. I'm certainly in favour of some new system, but a discussion on that separately should yield some better answers than bundling it up with this change.
I would just say that we are closer to the outcome you wish for than you might think. I would advocate for a series of small changes, including not abolishing any positions, and just either renaming them or slightly shifting their roles and responsibility. That way, providing everyone in affect roles gives their consent, any changes could take place as soon as a Bill passes, rather than, as Stan points out, at the next election, which would have to be the case if the plans were too radical or removed any elected posts. If we can implement this change sooner, then we can move on rather than having to wait around for a Bill to take effect.

I will do some research into the affected areas of the Charter because I do think that this change can legally be kept rather small and simple - slotting into the existing framework we have. The main change is splitting off the VP, and enshrining the 'pseudonym' principle, but other than that, I think our system works well.

I know some of my thinking overlaps with yours JM, and other parts are different. What are everyone's thoughts?
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
Agunter999
Nation: Freiga

Post by Agunter999 » May 21st 2018, 10:28 pm

simple solution, have a role play government like an UN with character electes positions and then an irl admin panel. Makes legical sense than mike the president of the rp world. like the world would vote mike to be president at what 16 yehhhh lol
stanisolt

Post by stanisolt » May 21st 2018, 10:30 pm

I agree. RP government + a group of forum administrators and moderators.
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics

Post by jmsepe » May 21st 2018, 11:58 pm

Isn't that basically what I am proposing?

Agunter999
Nation: Freiga

Post by Agunter999 » May 22nd 2018, 9:45 am

yes
Michael
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » May 22nd 2018, 4:34 pm

jmsepe wrote:Isn't that basically what I am proposing?
And equally, my suggestion isn't far from your's JM. It's a comprise between the status quo and yours, and can be implemented now, and not in March 2019.
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
stanisolt

Post by stanisolt » May 22nd 2018, 4:49 pm

Michael wrote:
jmsepe wrote:Isn't that basically what I am proposing?
And equally, my suggestion isn't far from your's JM. It's a comprise between the status quo and yours, and can be implemented now, and not in March 2019.
Your proposal seems a bit redundant and, if I understood it correctly, allows for the existence of two coexisting Alliance leaderships. JM’s proposal ensures the existence of only one, in addition to a dedicated team of administrators specializing in wiki and forum administration.

Return to “The Future of the Alliance”