Vice Presidential Debate | Stage 1

The main Election Hub for the 14th General Union Election.
daTS
Nation: Illium

Vice Presidential Debate | Stage 1

Post by daTS » February 7th 2017, 11:46 pm

"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there." - Adam Young
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina

Re: Vice Presidential Debate | Stage 1

Post by kendallhart808 » February 10th 2017, 12:57 am

Image Kendall: Hello and welcome to the Vice-Presidential Debate. I am your moderator Kendall Hart. Our two opponents are Anthony from the Illium Kingdom and Michael from the Republic of Mikenstein. Both will be asked the same question and will answer it to the best of their ability. Without further ado, here is the first question.
What previous experience do you have that makes you qualified for the Vice-President position? Anthony: Honestly, I could go on for a very long time about this. I’ve got more than 30 months of experience in the AIN leadership positions, I am the Design Lead at my company, managing more than 20 people, I spent most of my adult life in leadership positions, including time as a crew chief aboard multiple US Army aircraft.. I’ve learned a thing or two about how to lead. Not boss people around, but LEAD. Take the initiative. I’d never ask a subordinate to do something I wouldn’t do myself.

Michael: I have just recently hosted AINVision - the greatest show there is - and have received overwhelmingly positive feedback for this. I was the first host to create a full video, which added complexity and time to the process, and also I was hosting the largest AINVision in recent years. The administration and planning for this event was complex and I also delivered the event early, reflecting my superior organisational skills. I am also in the process of preparing the Winter Games with Kendall, which involved lots or research and creative thinking, along with aiding in the organisation and creative content side.

How do you think that your previous experiences will help guide you in office? Anthony: I know that there are times you need to “bend the rules”. Not every situation can fit within a given parameters of laws and rules. Being a leader is about being flexible, and understanding when and why you should do things.

Michael: My time-management skills along with my ability to meet and precede deadlines will be vital in managing the tasks of Vice-President and ensuring a smooth running community that sticks, as much as appropriate, to the calendar.

In your opinion what sets you above your running mate when it comes to the vice-presidential role? Anthony: I have a vastly larger leadership portfolio, and he has much to learn. My running mate is an extremely competent and promising young man, but he has much to learn about how and why things are the way they are. I strongly support him in a lower office, working his way up, understanding the ins and outs of managing a team of leaders. The President’s role is to run a given entity. The Vice President’s role is to manage, and I have proven time and time again that I can effectively do that. My running mate hasn’t had the chance to prove that to us.

Michael:My strong, influential and staff level links to the largest city-building community will be a valuable resource in gathering new members and promoting the Alliance. This will be needed in raising the activity levels on the Alliance, and it is something which only I can provide. With activity levels where they are in the Alliance, new members and new nations are needed. My influential and strong links to Simtropolis will be invaluable in this task. I’m sure my running mate will point out how young I am to the Alliance, but I feel in the year I’ve been here I’m made a sizeable impact and have yet to take any form of leave from the community, which reflects my true dedication to this wonderful collection of members.
As vice-president, what do you see your role being when it comes to the leadership of the alliance? Anthony: Exactly what I stated in my last answer. The President’s role is to run an entity. The Vice President’s role is to manage, and I intend to manage our leadership team and the AIN as a whole in an effective and timely manner. We are a team, so I will very much encourage the input from our community.

Michael: My main role in leadership terms will be to work as closely as I can with the President. I have already worked with my endorsed candidate, Charlie, on projects such as the LGBT rights page and map, where we both collaborated on different aspects of the theme. My role will also reflect to other teams and working with the Directors. I have collaborated with other users on projects such as GO is FRC and the Winter games with Kendall. This reflects my ability, not only to direct users but work with them to achieve set goals.
As Vice-President, how will you cooperate with the President to ensure that the most can be accomplished within your term? Anthony: This ties into my answers to questions 3 and 4 pretty well. I will take the role as manager, so that the President can focus on the more important parts of his office. Communication is certainly important, and if our current only presidential candidate is voted into office, I can assure that we already have an extremely open line of communication.

Michael: As I've said above I've worked with my endorsed candidate on multiple occasions already, but with any President, my effective communication skills, with being on Skype regularly and responding to Personal Messages and posts quickly, will be instrumental in achieving any goal.
How do you plan to work with the other Directors to make sure that the most is accomplished within your term? Anthony: Again, communication is key. I have faith in our current candidates that all of them can carry out their duties as Directors of their departments. I will support them in their endeavors and advise them if I see a better course of action.

Michael: My main way of working will be to effectively communicate to all Ministers plans, tasks and ideas. This will be done not only on the forums but also on Skype, which will be utilised as an invaluable resource for idea creation and discussion. The forums will also be incredibly important. For most decisions amount Directors and Ministers, I will want to consult them and usually poll for the solution. This not only adds to the democracy within the union but also the transparency with other ministers.
What previous experiences do you have that can aid you in leading the Alliance Council as Director General? Anthony: I’ve held several Director positions, so I have a fairly shrewd notion of what exactly those positions are entitled to and what duties they encompass. This gives me a unique perspective in my ability to manage the directors as a whole. I can assist them in doing their jobs because I’ve done it before.
Michael: Being Chair of my School Debating Society, I am used to managing opinions and viewpoints and listening along with taking into consideration different facts and points of view. This skill is vital to managing the Alliance Council and I strongly believe that the aforementioned skills and abilities that I have made me an exceptional candidate for this role.

What are some of your plans for the upcoming year, should you get the role of vice president? Anthony: Honestly, my plans are to continue the current Alliance expansion, and ensure a smooth transition from one government team to the next. I don’t like to make promises of grandeur or greatness, because that’s not who I am. I will manage the team we have and make sure that we approach problems and improvements in an effective manner as they come up. My only real “plan of action” at the moment is to reorganise our team’s time management and communication tools to give us a much more effective and efficient command team.

Michael: Along with increased co-ordination, tackling of Spam and a drive for increased membership, my plan to increase transparency to all members will be key. I believe with these 4 strong manifestoes policies, that my position and legacy as Vice-President, should you choose me, will be tangible and long lasting.
How do you plan to implement these plans in a timely manner? Anthony: Communication. Really that’s the only thing that is absolutely necessary to getting things done in a timely manner. Everything else is a case-by-case basis on implementation. Naturally, we have to prioritize and manage our time effectively, and that’s one of my goals.

Michael: In reference to the transparency, I will, along with the President be posting monthly transparency briefings to allow all members to read up on the progress and aims of the Administration. This will not only allow members to better understand the workings of the Alliance but to fully appreciate what is happening, the issues being tackled and any other discussions happening within the Administration. A transparency increase will aid cohesion within the Union.
Do you have any ideas to curtail the recent spamming crisis in the alliance? Anthony: The creators of spam bots will always be one step ahead of us. The best thing we can do is implement counter-spam measures, including increasing security measures, captchas and whatever else PHPBB software offers. We may have to implement approval of account emails using an email verification before posting. It could impact the amount of new members joining, but unfortunately the security of the Alliance and its members come first. We could always counter that drop in the numbers joining by a more aggressive advertising campaign.

Michael: The temporary fix is to try to be active as much as possible, blocking and delete the spammers as soon as possible. I have recently had to many-a-time notify admins and moderators in the Skype chat when I have seen a spammer very soon after them posting, but have been unable to do anything. This would be dealt with sooner, should you choose me to be your next President. I would also look into, along with the other Admins and President, enhancing our anti-spam measures and restricting posting to limited forums for non-member states.
When it comes to inactivity, how would you plan to help jumpstart activity and make sure that it is sustained? Anthony: That’s a tough one. Hosting more events, and getting more members is the most effective way of increasing activities, but we have to keep in mind that there will always be some periods of inactivity, especially during finals season. A majority of our members are still in some sort of schooling phase of their lives, and that means that our outside lives come first. Obviously, if we increase our member base significantly enough, we can offset that by having more members that have more flexible timelines and of course hosting more events.

Michael: Jumpstarting activity involves two main things: Firstly it is about encouraging our current members to be more active. Be that taking part in events, encouraging the posting of news articles or engaging in other role-play activities such as trade deals. The second part is about encouraging new members to join. My staff position over at ST and the influence it brings will be very helpful in doing this. Once the activity level is higher, sustaining is is just about having a wide range of events and activities that members can be involved in. If the move to ST becomes more viable, my position on the Staff team there will be absolutely vital in ensuring a smooth and clean transition, while still coordinating with the Admins at ST.
Do you have any ideas when it comes to bringing new members to the alliance? Anthony: Once we finalize our move to Simtropolis, we will have visibility to their more than 100,000 users. This puts us in a strategic position to gain more many more members.

Michael: My prominent position over at Simtropolis will enable the advertisement of our Alliance to more users. My position on the staff team will be instrumental in any promotion or feature that the Alliance has in due course and the large user base on Simtropolis increases the chance of Applications.
As Vice-President how do you think that you can help new members integrate into the alliance? Anthony: 100% communication with them. If leadership works closely with one another and everyone else, we can ensure smooth integration of new members. Effective communication is key to not only getting new members, but retaining them as well.

Michael: I would, when new members join, help provide a compressive guide to the Alliance, featuring information they should be aware of; upcoming events and this to get involved in; threads I’d recommend they set up like Foreign Affairs, News and so on; a guide to the current members of the Alliance and more to help them become acquainted with the Alliance the things going on and what they can do. This should all help to aid participation and integration from new members.
As the organizer of union events, is there anything you would do differently about current events? Anthony: Current Events? No. Attempting to change events that are already in progress just creates a much larger probability of problems. Future events, most definitely. We will analyze past events to see what worked and what didn’t work. More importantly, we will run a series of minor events meant to increase activity while also testing changes to see what works in real-world applications.

Michael: The events going on currently in the Union are great, especially the new ones such as the Cricket and Basketball tournaments and the Winter Games. However, I would pull Ministers and members alike together to create a comprehensive event calendar, covering all events that not only means the activity can be spread across the year, but the timings fit in with the host's own personal time restrictions. This I'll be vital in ensuring a more cohesive Union, where everything works for each member.
Going on with the last question, do you plan on introducing any new events into the union during your term? Anthony: As stated in the previous questions, in order to implement more effective changes in our larger events (AINvision, Alliance Games, ect), we need to test those changes in smaller events. We will work closely with the Directors to brainstorm ideas for new minor events.

Michael: I personally, would look to expand the AINExpo, along with the Director of Economics to include further investment in transport. This can also be done in conjunction with the Director of Infrastructure. While I would wish to frontline these initiatives, I think working with all of the Directors is important and ensuring that all voices, including members, are heard when it comes to organising events.
As vice-president, how do you think that you can create more cooperation between members? Anthony: One thing that the Alliance desperately needs is better integration and communication. The nature of our fictional world means it is constantly changing, almost on a weekly basis. Countries come and go, trade routes change, wars start and end. One thing that is almost universal is that neighbors who would naturally be integrated into society of others is almost completely ignored, and a large portion of that is due to lack of communication and coherence. While the current AIN Skype chat is always fairly active, many of our members don’t or won’t use it. One thing we should do is move to a more commonly accepted platform, and mandate that our members be on that platform in some manner. I can see the potential for those to give us resistance to that, but the Alliance has a serious communication problem among many of its members, and it’s something we really need to address.

Michael: This would really stem from my approach to diplomacy and transparency. With new or expanded events I will encourage interested members to work together. Similar to what Alex, Kendall and I did with GO in Carolina. Kendall saw an issue with his Amtrak, and knowing Alex and I were interested in transportation enlisted us, and our nations, to aid Carolina in transforming their rail network. This type of cooperation would only be possible with a higher activity level, with members posting issues and stories about their nations.
Going on my last question, what previous experiences do you have which will aid you in creating cooperation? Anthony: My AIN leadership before has had me in a pretty interesting position to observe what the executive council does to communicate. We need to start pushing our general members to communicate in the same effective manner.

Michael: Well as I've mentioned previously I have worked with Charlie in Wiki/Information projects such as the comprehensive list of LGBT rights across the Alliance; I have worked with Kendall both on GO and the Winter Games and the former also working with Alex. I have, of course, worked with all of the members, who in their own nominations, helped make this AINVision a success. This not only represents a range of tasks and events but also a range of members. I have yet to see, within my membership of the Union, a visible collaboration between a member and my running mate - I’ve done it on several occasions in just 1 year.
By 2018, what would you like to see done in the alliance than what is being done currently? Anthony: This question is a bit ambiguous. Of course I’d like to see more communication between members and more members joining us in general, but we have a pretty constrained world. We are limited in the way we handle our nations. I understand that the AIN loves it’s realism, and in a way I love that too, but it does severely limit what we and new members aspiring to join can and cannot do. One thing that I will definitely be doing is speaking to every member we currently have to get an idea of where the Alliance is currently going and where we SHOULD go, as a community.

Michael: I really want greater involvement from all members. I understand time restraints can often stop members getting involved, but I really want to see a much larger involvement of all members in all types of events and features. This will not also add to the activity levels but will add to the interest of the Alliance for members.
Do you have any previous experiences which would aid you in the job of moderating the alliance? Anthony: I’m already a global moderator both in the AIN and in our larger sibling Simtropolis, as well as administrator of several other sites with forums. I am very intimately familiar with our systems. With the extensive tools given to me as Vice President, I can more effectively manage our community, especially our current spam issues.

Michael: I am a moderator over at Simtropolis, which involves moderating a large community with lots of complex issues and situations to be solved. This also involves working with a large team and reaching compromises that suit the largest possible numbers of members. This task and skills that come with it will be largely transferable to the Alliance.
Do you like Guacamole? Anthony: This question holds no relevance to my candidacy as Vice President. That being said, I am indifferent to the taste of guacamole, and I don’t really care for the texture.

Michael: Yes. It's the best thing in the world. No argument.

Kendall: Well Everyone, that concludes our Vice-Presidential Debate. Both competitors did a great job tonight. Stay tuned for round two, and have a good night!
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » February 10th 2017, 2:08 am

Definitely a great debate! Some good points raised and thought out, we definitely have some very qualified candidates!
Eager to see what comes in Stage 2, more Guacamole? :P
Image Image Image Image
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Nation: Teiko

Post by jmsepe » February 10th 2017, 2:26 am

AIN becoming more political I like it! :D
Image What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?

EXPERIENCE AND DEDICATION
Michael
President of the Alliance
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » February 10th 2017, 6:13 am

A very interesting read Anthony and thank you Kendall for compiling it.
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
daTS

Post by daTS » February 10th 2017, 6:46 am

I'm really glad I came up with this idea. :)
ulisse
Director of Infrastructure
Director of Infrastructure
Nation: Siculia

Post by ulisse » February 10th 2017, 9:27 pm

A great debate. Waiting to follow the second stage.
Member State Since 10th December 2015 Director of Public Services From March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 - Director of Culture Since March 1, 2018 - Director of Infrastructure Since 1, 2018
daTS

Post by daTS » February 11th 2017, 7:54 am

STAGE 2 WILL DEBUT ON FRIDAY 17 FEB.
Spy9600
Nation: Atlantic Federation

Post by Spy9600 » February 11th 2017, 9:14 am

This was great. I have a feeling that this particular government will be able to achieve great things for the Alliance. Old and new members are represented and the level of preparadness and "AIN Citizenship" of the candidates is inspiring. It's great to watch AIN's democracy enduring and improving over the years. :clap:
Michael
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » February 17th 2017, 4:25 pm

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
Due to lack of a suitable time across time zones, and a mutual agreement that we were both great :P Anthony and I have agreed to call off the second stage.
I have wished all the best for my opponent and I wish the same for everyone else running during this election.
Happy voting!
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
daTS

Post by daTS » February 17th 2017, 4:57 pm

I think that while we could have had an enjoyable debate for everyone, I am confident in both my answers and those of my opponents. We both had strong arguments, albeit sometimes different point of views, for our candidacy. Either way, we'll do just fine!

Return to “14th General Elections”