I Need Some Advice...

By kendallhart808
Image Motto: Felicitatem in Deo est (In God Comes Prosperity)

Do You Support The Provisions Outlined in This Post

Yes
31%
No
46%
Maybe
15%
Need More Information
8%

Total votes: 13
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

I Need Some Advice...

Post by kendallhart808 » August 8th 2018, 3:55 am

So I Need Some Advice...
So I need some advice on something. Some of you already know what it is, most of you don't. Rather than going into the Skype chat and asking this I figured I minus well put up a poll here, that way I can have a tally and everything is anonymous.

So what do I need advice on...
Carolina needs to have some reworking done to it. Really not much is necessary, but in no world would you find a city named Birmingham in a country that speaks French. At the same time, the Huguenots overwhelmingly don't reside in France anymore, they reside in Arriola. Therefore, the colonial history (pre-1763) needs to be changed to reflect the Aranese. I am still keeping with the Civil War as the point where Carolina breaks from the United States because this is the most convenient POD for this to happen without really messing up US history. But when I was looking up stuff, I retraced the settlement patterns of "The Huguenots" mostly using how real life southerners moved west along roads and rivers. I found that the French speakers would quite likely form a majority in Arkansas and almost certainly form a majority in Texas. I knew about Texas since I changed the country to its current history, but I avoided it to try and get something passed. On the map below you can see the routes that I was thinking that settlers moved along, with the pale blue being the original area of French settlement and the blue arrows being French emigration, while red arrows show English emigration into the Carolinian states.

So if I haven't lost you yet and your still hanging in there with me (thank you) let me briefly go into what this expansion would mean for the country. These are all rough estimates:
The population would be 99,938,864. That would put Carolina at 5th in the AIN behind Karasem.
The GDP would be $4.87 Trillion which actually makes us second in the Alliance
GDP per capita would dip slightly to $48,729 which is only about $200 more than it currently is.
Below is a map of the proposed country with proposed new state names

So I'm sure a sizeable amount of you are wondering why I want to do this, I mean I'm pretty happy with Carolina. Truth be told I actually am, theres actually only a couple of reasons I want to do this, and the second one likely isn't the amazing answer y'all would want. The first is that I want to make the country as historically accurate as possible, and thats pretty much always been my goal. The second is that recently I've been feeling quite squeezed with Carolina. One of those reasons is because I have a massive neighbor to my north and my east, and I feel like I'm dependent on them for just about everything. I feel like in real life we would be little more than a puppet state to them since we border them to our north and west and the sheer might of the US. So this is sort of a plan to make Carolina feel a bit more independent. The second part of this reason is sort of similar. In the Aranese Crisis and really in the ongoing Poemia Crisis, I feel like I'm being treated like the United States (I mean I'm even being called imperialistic) but I don't have the numbers or the land to really act like a major player. And while you could point to France or to the United Kingdom, they have cultivated very strong spheres of influence because of their colonies. For example, France really has a strong pull in countries like Niger or Cameroon. So yeah you could probably call this a power grab and be pretty accurate on that (JM is shook that I'm admitting that :lol: ). Anyway, last time I tried to expand into Texas it was a terrible thing and I really don't want to go through that sort of thing again. Bills are a lot of stress and energy and if I won't get anything from it then there really is no point, I've just wasted time that I could be using developing news stories. So could everyone please go vote on the poll above and tell me your thoughts. That would be amazing!!

If you have read this whole thing, thank you so much for sticking with me through this long post. :clap:
Otto
Director of Public Services
Director of Public Services
Nation: Kingston and Boyce & Balaton

Re: I Need Some Advice...

Post by Otto » August 11th 2018, 2:43 pm

I don't see a reason for including Texas in this, other than to make your nation a major economic powerhouse
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

Post by kendallhart808 » August 11th 2018, 5:14 pm

Otto wrote:I don't see a reason for including Texas in this, other than to make your nation a major economic powerhouse
Not necessarily, this definitely is about trying to figure out migration patterns and how the French speaking population would migrate and thus where they would advocate for their own country. Its hard for me to believe that French settlers would have stopped at the Mississippi or Sabine Rivers and English speaking settlers which would be concentrated in Kentucky or Missouri would travel so much further south when no roads or rivers were directed that way. If you look at the first map I tried to map up what I believed were settlement patterns. This map below shows the density of African slaves, which also shows migration patterns. As you can see, most of the Texas population was concentrated on the eastern side of the state by 1860, which would mean that most of the population is likely to be French speaking. Thus when the French speaking states demand autonomy/independence (it might not necessarily be a war), Texas would likely go along with it.
Image A similar thing occurs with Arkansas, most of the settlers are likely to be from Western Tennessee, Mississippi, or Northern Louisiana, all which are French speaking areas in this TL. Most of the settlement seems to be located along the south and eastern parts of the state which likely means the state is predominately French speaking by 1860. Even if the French speaking states demand independence before Lincoln is elected, these settlement patterns are likely the same.
ulisse
Director of Infrastructure
Director of Infrastructure
Nation: Siculia

Post by ulisse » August 12th 2018, 8:02 pm

From a theoretical point of view, I think that this ' theoretical ' reconstruction of French immigration is very realistic. From the point of view of Texas I think that's fine that's part of the Carolina/Confederate States of America. Historically, Texas has sided with the Confederate States. So it's okay with me.
Member State Since 10th December 2015 Director of Public Services From March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 - Director of Culture Since March 1, 2018 - Director of Infrastructure Since 1, 2018
stanisolt
Nation: Amuria

Post by stanisolt » August 13th 2018, 12:29 am

Return the Mexican Cession and Texas + its historical claims to Mexico, and we have a deal ;)

But seriously, I do think that this change would be justified. If our goal here is to maximize realism while keeping the existence of an independent CSA, then I see no reason why Texas, a strong supporter of the CSA, wouldn't be included in the country. If the Union chose to keep Texas while letting the rest of the CSA go, then it could lead to numerous consequences that would result from an unstable Texan population.
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy

Return to “United Carolinian Confederation”