Decision 2017

By kendallhart808
Image Motto: Felicitatem in Deo est (In God Comes Prosperity)
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Posts: 896
Joined: August 15th 2015, 1:22 pm
Nation: Carolina
Location: NC

Decision 2017

Postby kendallhart808 » December 12th 2017, 1:28 pm

Image
Alabama Senate Special Elections
Polls Now Closed


CarolinaToday Projected Winner:
New Republican: Doug Jones
Image


Other Candidates:
States Right's Democrat (Dixiecrat): Roy Moore
Image

Democrat: Luther Strange
Image


Results:

Polling Now Closed, 99% Precincts Reporting as of 11:18 PM Central Standard Time
Doug Jones (New Republican) 36.0%
Roy Moore (Dixiecrat) 34.5%
Luther Strange (Democrat) 27.8%
Last edited by kendallhart808 on December 13th 2017, 5:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
User avatar
Michael
President of the Alliance
President of the Alliance
Posts: 950
Joined: January 26th 2016, 5:39 pm
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera
Location: London, UK, EU
Contact:

Re: Decision 2017

Postby Michael » December 12th 2017, 4:45 pm

Interesting that Carolina elections are aligned to those in the US :lol:
Looking forward to the result.
Image---------------Image
WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
User avatar
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata
Posts: 7110
Joined: January 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: Decision 2017

Postby RedAurora » December 12th 2017, 5:59 pm

It seems rather lacking in originality and creativity to me that you would basically copy-paste politicians from the real-life American South into your country. Your political figures should be realistic but it becomes tedious when they're the real people. A roleplay game is not particularly interesting if it's simply a carbon copy of the real world, because then everything is predictable and nothing makes the game unique.

If you want to have figures inspired by real politicians, that's great. If you want to have scandals and events inspired by real events, that's also intriguing. But there is a difference between being inspired and wholesale copying the real things, which I think you need to work more on.
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
User avatar
Gregor
Posts: 1370
Joined: December 25th 2011, 2:30 pm
Nation: Oka
Location: Lausanne
Contact:

Re: Decision 2017

Postby Gregor » December 12th 2017, 6:47 pm

RedAurora wrote:It seems rather lacking in originality and creativity to me that you would basically copy-paste politicians from the real-life American South into your country. Your political figures should be realistic but it becomes tedious when they're the real people. A roleplay game is not particularly interesting if it's simply a carbon copy of the real world, because then everything is predictable and nothing makes the game unique.

If you want to have figures inspired by real politicians, that's great. If you want to have scandals and events inspired by real events, that's also intriguing. But there is a difference between being inspired and wholesale copying the real things, which I think you need to work more on.


I certainly can understand where you're coming from, I've had certain concerns aswell on this topic at some points, but in his defence Kendall is working on a nation in which he lives "technically" and has a very close link too, in such cases abstraction is a hard task and there is a thin line between reality and fiction in Carolina, which is not especially a problem. I think it can be a quality as long as there is a moment where we leave this "parralel America" and see what will happen
_____________

Image
Oka City AIN Cultural Capital 2018
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Posts: 896
Joined: August 15th 2015, 1:22 pm
Nation: Carolina
Location: NC

Re: Decision 2017

Postby kendallhart808 » December 12th 2017, 8:20 pm

RedAurora wrote:It seems rather lacking in originality and creativity to me that you would basically copy-paste politicians from the real-life American South into your country. Your political figures should be realistic but it becomes tedious when they're the real people. A roleplay game is not particularly interesting if it's simply a carbon copy of the real world, because then everything is predictable and nothing makes the game unique.

If you want to have figures inspired by real politicians, that's great. If you want to have scandals and events inspired by real events, that's also intriguing. But there is a difference between being inspired and wholesale copying the real things, which I think you need to work more on.

Personally I don't really appreciate this sort of wide scale criticism against Carolina. Such brash criticism makes me think that you have not really changed in the ways that you say that you have. I'm not here to really say that using real life politicians is creative, but neither is a city called Abu Muslim and using Allahu Akbar. Are all those really as original as you are telling other members to be? This reminds me of a former comment you made toward Carolina and so I'm worried over what is going on here.

Greg is entirely right, the connection that I have with Carolina really prevents me from really making it's politics insanely different. Personally I don't think that I could a. keep up with or b. think up a country where everyone is entirely different from real life people. The only people that are made up and currently in Carolina's government is the Cabinet which changes every other CarolinaToday article. I don't really see it as a problem though because either way these people are going to exist, and replacing them is much more unrealistic than having them serve in Carolina's government. I also use the same scandals because they are going to happen to said person whether it's in the US or Carolina. These people also work around a Carolinian pretext (last time I checked the Dixiecrats haven't been big since the 60's ;) ).
User avatar
stanisolt
Posts: 352
Joined: August 6th 2012, 11:23 pm
Nation: Amuria
Location: Russian Federative Empire

Re: Decision 2017

Postby stanisolt » December 12th 2017, 8:35 pm

RedAurora wrote:It seems rather lacking in originality and creativity to me that you would basically copy-paste politicians from the real-life American South into your country. Your political figures should be realistic but it becomes tedious when they're the real people. A roleplay game is not particularly interesting if it's simply a carbon copy of the real world, because then everything is predictable and nothing makes the game unique.

If you want to have figures inspired by real politicians, that's great. If you want to have scandals and events inspired by real events, that's also intriguing. But there is a difference between being inspired and wholesale copying the real things, which I think you need to work more on.


While what you say has merit, it's a bit beyond me that you feel it's necessary to criticize Carolina before you have even been accepted into the Alliance. Save it for when you're a member.
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy
User avatar
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata
Posts: 7110
Joined: January 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: Decision 2017

Postby RedAurora » December 13th 2017, 1:11 am

kendallhart808 wrote:Personally I don't really appreciate this sort of wide scale criticism against Carolina. Such brash criticism makes me think that you have not really changed in the ways that you say that you have. I'm not here to really say that using real life politicians is creative, but neither is a city called Abu Muslim and using Allahu Akbar. Are all those really as original as you are telling other members to be? This reminds me of a former comment you made toward Carolina and so I'm worried over what is going on here.

Greg is entirely right, the connection that I have with Carolina really prevents me from really making it's politics insanely different. Personally I don't think that I could a. keep up with or b. think up a country where everyone is entirely different from real life people. The only people that are made up and currently in Carolina's government is the Cabinet which changes every other CarolinaToday article. I don't really see it as a problem though because either way these people are going to exist, and replacing them is much more unrealistic than having them serve in Carolina's government. I also use the same scandals because they are going to happen to said person whether it's in the US or Carolina. These people also work around a Carolinian pretext (last time I checked the Dixiecrats haven't been big since the 60's ;) ).


Please calm down, I only made a constructive criticism of your politics with goodwill. I'm not attacking you. And I'm pretty sure my comment here is nothing like what I said a year ago. I regret the attitude of what I said a year ago. If you have problems with my current application, you can go to the page of my application and write them there, and I will explain/address your concerns like I have done in the past two days. I'm not going to address petty whataboutist arguments here though.

If you feel connected to the Carolinas, I understand that. Nothing that I said in my comment goes against that. Again, I only made constructive criticism. I think you are more than capable of keeping up with fictional characters, that's what screenwriters, producers, directors do all the time. My criticism was aimed at helping you make this project truly yours. Look at other countries. Most countries in AIN have fictional political figures, not real ones, and for a good reason. A lot of these figures are inspired by real people, but they're not themselves real people. That makes these countries more unique. And that's what you could be doing as well. You can craft your characters in a realistic way without outright copying them from the real world. As for your argument that these characters are what would be happening in the real world, I don't think that's a very consistent argument because we know Carolina is not an independent nation in the real world. Just like how you didn't outright copy the modern history of the American South, because Carolina could not be independent if you did, you shouldn't just copy politicians and events either.

And I see that you made very small changes like the "Dixiecrats", but that seems rather superficial and not very significant.
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
User avatar
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata
Posts: 7110
Joined: January 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: Decision 2017

Postby RedAurora » December 13th 2017, 1:14 am

stanisolt wrote:While what you say has merit, it's a bit beyond me that you feel it's necessary to criticize Carolina before you have even been accepted into the Alliance. Save it for when you're a member.


You sound as though I'm completely new to this thing. I know how this game works. I've been a member for years. I'm a former President. Just because I'm not a member now doesn't mean I can't say anything about any member country or criticize any member country.
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
User avatar
stanisolt
Posts: 352
Joined: August 6th 2012, 11:23 pm
Nation: Amuria
Location: Russian Federative Empire

Re: Decision 2017

Postby stanisolt » December 13th 2017, 1:18 am

RedAurora wrote:
stanisolt wrote:While what you say has merit, it's a bit beyond me that you feel it's necessary to criticize Carolina before you have even been accepted into the Alliance. Save it for when you're a member.


You sound as though I'm completely new to this thing. I know how this game works. I've been a member for years. I'm a former President. Just because I'm not a member now doesn't mean I can't say anything about any member country or criticize any member country.


Yes we both know that. However, it is treading a thin line considering that certain members are weary of allowing you back based on your past behavior, and fear this is a sign of that. You may have been in this game for a while (so have I), but that doesn’t give you a free pass to allow you to behave the way you want. You need to show the members of AIN that you can handle who is here, no matter your personal bias, and show that you have genuinely changed.
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy
User avatar
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata
Posts: 7110
Joined: January 21st 2012, 3:18 pm
Location: United States

Re: Decision 2017

Postby RedAurora » December 13th 2017, 1:24 am

Well, it was more of an attitude thing last year. I regret that as well. I'll still make comments and criticisms about countries, but I'll keep them constructive and helpful. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

The criticism I've written on this page is completely constructive. It should not be deemed offensive in any way. You guys have written comments on my current application, and you still can, and I have taken no offense from any of them. You should be careful to distinguish between criticizing and being spiteful in criticism. I've only done the former here.
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Posts: 896
Joined: August 15th 2015, 1:22 pm
Nation: Carolina
Location: NC

Re: Decision 2017

Postby kendallhart808 » December 13th 2017, 1:24 am

Image
Current Results
Doug Jones: 51.5%
Roy Moore: 27.1%
Luther Strange: 21.0%
User avatar
stanisolt
Posts: 352
Joined: August 6th 2012, 11:23 pm
Nation: Amuria
Location: Russian Federative Empire

Re: Decision 2017

Postby stanisolt » December 13th 2017, 1:29 am

RedAurora wrote:Well, it was more of an attitude thing last year. I regret that as well. I'll still make comments and criticisms about countries, but I'll keep them constructive and helpful. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

The criticism I've written on this page is completely constructive. It should not be deemed offensive in any way. You guys have written comments on my current application, and you still can, and I have taken no offense from any of them. You should be careful to distinguish between criticizing and being spiteful in criticism. I've only done the former here.


I get your point, but also remember that there will be people who can misinterprete your intentions, so you must be careful. *light, friendly punch in the shoulder* ;)
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Posts: 896
Joined: August 15th 2015, 1:22 pm
Nation: Carolina
Location: NC

Re: Decision 2017

Postby kendallhart808 » December 13th 2017, 2:03 am

Image
Image
Current Results
Roy Moore (Dixiecrat) 40.9%
Doug Jones (New Republican) 39.4%
Luther Strange (Democrat) 18.4%


16% of Precincts Reporting
Last edited by kendallhart808 on December 13th 2017, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jmsepe
Director of Economics
Director of Economics
Posts: 1734
Joined: April 16th 2014, 5:32 am
Nation: Teiko
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Decision 2017

Postby jmsepe » December 13th 2017, 2:07 am

If Jones doesn't win, we declare war. :lol:
Image
What good would it bring if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul the one he loves?

EXPERIENCE AND DEDICATION
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Posts: 896
Joined: August 15th 2015, 1:22 pm
Nation: Carolina
Location: NC

Re: Decision 2017

Postby kendallhart808 » December 13th 2017, 2:29 am

Image
Image
Current Results
Roy Moore (Dixiecrat) 36.6%
Doug Jones (New Republican) 32.7%
Luther Strange (Democrat) 29.4%


50% of Precincts Reporting

Return to “United Carolinian Confederation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest