Minor National Change - To Go into Effect 4/19

By kendallhart808
Image Motto: Felicitatem in Deo est (In God Comes Prosperity)
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

Minor National Change - To Go into Effect 4/19

Post by kendallhart808 » April 11th 2018, 1:43 am

To go into effect April 19, 2018:
I have decided to change the official name of Carolina from the Confederate States of Carolina to the Confederate States of America. This move is purely based on historical purposes, Carolina (in the AIN world) is a term which represents the French-speaking regions of the United States similar to Sudetenland. However, as Carolina is the direct successor to the Confederate States, it would be impractical for a nation which also included English speakers to be limited in its name to only the French regions (you wouldn't call Czechoslovakia, Sudetenland for instance). Following the Civil War/War of Secession it would be unlikely that the Confederate States would change their official name from America to Carolina. However, because Carolina is the historical name for this region it will continue to be a common name for the country, similar to how people call the United Kingdom, Great Britain. The demonym of the country will still remain "Carolinian". Thus, Carolina will remain an extremely popular term in the country just as Britain is in the United Kingdom. Everyone can still refer to the country as Carolina if you so wish, Confederate States of America will only be the official term. You could can also refer to it as the Confederate States. So as you see, not much change here. Carolina can still be Carolina, I'm just trying to make the official name more accurate. At this time, this is the only change, and so there should be no reason to suspect any land changes or the sort coming in the future (I know someone thought it :lol:)

Thanks,
Kendall
SimEmirate
Nation: Arriola

Re: Minor National Change - To Go into Effect 4/19

Post by SimEmirate » April 11th 2018, 2:33 am

I don't think this is a good idea. In all honesty, it already seems as if Carolina is simply the Confederacy (if it would have survived) in all but name, and this change will set that in stone. Also, I don't understand your historical argument about English speakers for this name change. The name "Carolina" has origins in the Latin "Carolus", generally meaning "free man". The circumstances of the original CSA and that of Carolina are quite different. I see no reason why the Carolinians would identify with the term "American" at all in their history, considering their colonial background. However, I understand this is your nation and the choice is yours, but I advise against this change. :!:
Jost Van Kortag

Post by Jost Van Kortag » April 11th 2018, 9:49 am

SimEmirate wrote:I don't think this is a good idea. In all honesty, it already seems as if Carolina is simply the Confederacy (if it would have survived) in all but name, and this change will set that in stone. Also, I don't understand your historical argument about English speakers for this name change. The name "Carolina" has origins in the Latin "Carolus", generally meaning "free man". The circumstances of the original CSA and that of Carolina are quite different. I see no reason why the Carolinians would identify with the term "American" at all in their history, considering their colonial background. However, I understand this is your nation and the choice is yours, but I advise against this change. :!:
The name Carolina was granted in honor of king Charles I of England though... So almost nothing to do with the original meaning of the name. Imo there's no problem if Ken wants to call Carolina CSA, it would be historically accurate at least.
SimEmirate
Nation: Arriola

Post by SimEmirate » April 11th 2018, 10:16 am

Again, Carolina has a different colonial background. In Carolina’s history (read Kendall’s wiki), the name originates with the French, who established “Fort Caroline”. Kendall is claiming this change is for historical accuracy, however I’m not seeing the basis of his claim.
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

Post by kendallhart808 » April 11th 2018, 2:00 pm

SimEmirate does have a strong point, the country does have a different colonial background. Carolina indeed is a term to identify the French region of the United States, and it identifies with the French Huguenots descendants that live there. The idea with the last history change in Carolina was that I was trying to keep it adherent with current US history, especially in regards with the civil war. But to do that, Carolina needs to take on the role of the Confederacy with Virginia, Texas, and Arkansas joining the country and then forcefully leaving after the peace settlement. There is some merit to it being called Carolina, the original CSA was formed between Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana, all states which are in the "Carolinian Region". But with the civil war being both a slavery and an ethnic war, I wondered if the name would be widened from Carolina to America, not because they identify with the Americans but because "of America" refers to the Confederate States of the American continent. So I will consider just keeping the name Carolina.

As far as Carolina being like a CSA that lived, that is kind of the point. I think it's hard for me to look at the south in a different way just because I live here and its history has been ingrained in my mind. At the same time, with the southern economic model which is really the main viable economic model of the region, I feel as if attitudes would be similar to those in the Confederacy. However, I am always looking at revising the history in different ways to make sure things can be as realistic as possible.
Michael
President of the Alliance
President of the Alliance
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » April 11th 2018, 4:07 pm

I don't really see an issue. Personally, I will still refer to the country in shorthand as Carolina, as Kendall mentions. The impact is negligible imo.
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
stanisolt
Nation: Amuria

Post by stanisolt » April 12th 2018, 1:54 pm

I share some of the concerns SimEmirate brought up, but ultimately I don’t have much issue with the change. Since this is your country, you have every right to change it as you please :)
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy

Return to “United Carolinian Confederation”