Nyanga: The Real Side

by IRE505
Image Motto: Liberté, unité, faculté (Freedom, unity, power)
IRE505

Nyanga: The Real Side

Post by IRE505 » October 12th 2015, 8:29 pm

Introduction
As many of you know I have relocated to South Africa. This means I have first hand access to landscapes and scenes that can correlate exactly with ideas that I have for Nyanga. This will be the real life counter-part to "The Journal of Nyanga". The reasoning behind this is there is some things about Simcity 4 that do not do an African nation justice, even photography struggles to do Africa justice. There is more to Nyanga than just towns and cities, it's the sounds, the feelings and the little details which can't be experienced unless you are actually there to experience them. I try my best to show you what Nyanga is like economically and politically through Simcity and through role play, now I will show you what it's like to visit and experience Nyanga for yourself.

Grotto Beach Club, the most exclusive club of it's kind in Nyanga, most of the 50+ homes are over 4,000ft2 and occupied one or two months a year.

This won't be a personal blog, although the areas in Nyanga will consist of my own pictures of South Africa that I think suit what I'm trying to portray as Nyanga. I hope to only include pictures that would be either impossible or very hard to recreate in SC4 and I will certainly continue posting in my CJ.

[centre]--The First Entry will be Coming Soon--[/centre]
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Re: Nyanga: The Real Side

Post by Charlie » October 13th 2015, 12:19 am

Oooh this seems very interesting, definitely looking forward to getting a RL view of Nyanga! :D
Image Image Image Image
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » October 13th 2015, 1:37 am

A very good idea. I'm also looking forward to this project. :)
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
IRE505

Post by IRE505 » November 19th 2015, 3:51 pm

Issue 1
Mayumba. 2015. It's the 18th of November, a Wednesday. 05:00. The warm southerly wind blows sharp spears of sand to the back of your calf muscles. At this time, you're alone at the beach, contemplating your thoughts before you head out for the day. The wind brings mystery to the mountains and sea you know so well. In a deep breath your mind clears, only the sounds and smells of the sea can be felt. Your eyes close but the sight remains in your head. You know this is your home, this is where you belong...

You begin the return, south along the make shift path through the cliffs. The sun's morning heat clears the mist during the walk. Before forest obstructs the sea view further down, you wait a moment by the cliff's edge, admiring the view of the waking Mayumba. A whale steals you away from the vistas to showcase it's blowhole, before dipping beneath the sea. You decide that is your inspiration for the day.

After your arrival home you prepare yourself for work, and head out. You don't have a car, but that doesn't bother you. The dirt roads out the city are pleasant and are often busy with other farmers heading to markets, where you can catch a quick breakfast. It's a tough ordeal in the rainy season or when it's too hot, but it's the only way to work you know. You would take the taxi, but the daily trip would be far too costly by the end of the week.

The forest turns to farm land as you near work. You're a bit late, thanks to this morning's walk, but hopefully you'll make it in time. The round huts make up most of the buildings in this area, but they're being replaced with new rural development. Slowly this ancient tradition is being lost. They mostly grow maize here as it's one of the more dry areas, but goats and sheep can also be found on the farms. Although they're usually for the farmer's own meals and aren't sold.

Ending the walk to work you arrive at around 8am. Just in time. Now the day starts to really heat up and it makes starting work difficult. It's also hard not to stop and gaze at all the wonderful sights of the trees, the quaint houses and flowers that surround the area. The familiar smell of wood smoke drifts through the air, adding an extra sense of heat to the day. You hear distant sounds of chatter and laughter through the singing birds. Entering the house, a cool breeze overtakes you and you put down your rucksack and take off your cap. Another long day of work starts.

Issue 1 followed a journey of one the many who live in Mayumbas townships' and walk long distances to work, whether it's in the rural outskirts or the industrial harbour. Often people arrive home late, after dark and after working in the hot sun and humidity. But this is mostly the only choice for these people if they want to earn a living and support a family. The government has attempted public transport and housing schemes, but they are often frivolous due to corruption and poor planning.
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » November 20th 2015, 1:55 am

Very unique way of showing what life is like in your own nation! Great to see what daily life would be like :)
Image Image Image Image
Spy9600
Nation: Atlantic Federation

Post by Spy9600 » November 20th 2015, 2:18 am

This was a great read!

I've been to places with a similar feel to that in my region in Brazil, and I can totally relate to this. :)
IRE505

Post by IRE505 » November 20th 2015, 10:45 am

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
For interest sake the first two pictures are from Hermanus and the third is in Spier in the Western Cape of South Africa. The last two are outside Harare, in Zimbabwe.

Return to “Nyangan Free State”