Side Nation: Federal Republic of Lower California

Welcome to the AIN! Come along and introduce yourself, meet our members and learn the ropes. Then when you are ready, post your application!
ulisse
Director of Infrastructure
Nation: Siculia

Side Nation: Federal Republic of Lower California

Post by ulisse » June 26th 2018, 8:26 pm

Application for Federal Republic of Lower California to join the Alliance of Independent Nations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWLr5MfWnA
► Show Spoiler
Here are the maps of the nation Lower Columbia
► Show Spoiler
Note: If this application should pass, Siculia remains as a primary nation and this becomes a secondary nation
Last edited by ulisse on August 27th 2018, 2:57 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Member State Since 10th December 2015 Director of Public Services From March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 - Director of Culture Since March 1, 2018 - Director of Infrastructure Since 1, 2018
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance
Nation: Carolina & The Cape

Re: Federal Republic of Coronadas

Post by kendallhart808 » June 27th 2018, 2:50 am

Hey, please take this as constructive criticism, I'm not trying to shoot you down but there are some things that I find really off about this application.

1. The Eagle on the flag looks like a monarchy and doesn't look like it fits the island chain. Consider removing the crown or not using the emblem from the Second Mexican Empire.
2. Your population is good
3. Map looks fine imo
4. Your GDP Per Capita is way to high in my opinion. I would consider something close to $25k, especially for a population that is mainly Hispanic (ie. this is a Latin American country imo not a North American one).
5. Consider making your currency that Coronados Peso
6. CRO is the olympic code for Croatia
7. Okay now onto the history:
a. I don't know much about early Spanish settlements in Mexico, so I'll give you a pass
b. How did James Cook create towns? With what settlers? James Cook/Alex Harris may explore the islands but I have a lot of doubt that the English would colonize the area, especially as the colonize have already begun colonization of Poemia and the islands.
c. Colonization of Poetry? Also how has it taken nearly 200 years for Spaniards to realize that English settlers are there.
d. Okay so pause. Whats the status of these English people. Are they inside of a British colony or is just a few of them inside a Spanish colony. Because if they are a separate colony, they aren't going to become a Mexican state. If they are inside a Spanish colony, I'd be confused of why they are not integrating into the local culture. They would not retain their English identity living under a Spanish colony, it wouldn't make, logical sense to do so.
e. Okay so the revolt starts in the English cities (I'm not entirely sure why they haven't integrated in with the rest of Mexico but whatever). I see those areas wanting independence. But are the Spaniards content, because then they would either fight a guerilla war on behalf of Mexico (I'll explain why its a guerilla war in a second) or would want their own nation. Just clearing this up would be nice. As for timing, you are right on the money. The independence war is coinciding with the Mexican-American War and Santa Ana will be diverting most if not all of his troops to fight the US. I would actually expect an earlier but murky independence, where the country acts autonomous of Mexico and is recognized by the US but not by Mexico. It's important to actually distance yourself from the United States though, you wouldn't want them to take the region in the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, so I would actually remove any foreign intervention from them.
f. Your constitution looks good, although it might want to be more based on Hispanic influences like the Mexican Federal Constitution of 1824 or the more liberal constitution of Yucatan. Both are good government documents.
g. OKAYYYY, so here's a hard lesson about Latin America. There is no liberalist right (I'm not even sure what that is), the population would mainly be in two camps, liberals and conservatives. You can look up more information about both camps but generally liberals wanted a more secular democratic government and conservatives wanted more religion in government and sometimes wanted monarchy it depends which country and which time period. If the right wins, great but that's probably not a good idea, it would likely produce someone like Santa Ana. You would want the Liberals to win. This will cause some push back from Conservatives but likely not much, people are still enthusiastic about independence. You will probably want someone like Benito Juarez (look him up) who will do the reforms that you are wishing for like agrian and social reforms.
h. A gold rush is good but it might cause you instability. I don't know how much Americans are going to make up of your population by about 1860ish but what you don't want is to become another Texas.
i. Okay now lets talk about everything leading up to 1900. I like where you are going but we need to redefine it. You would likely have something between Argentina's economic growth 1880-1930 and Mexico's Porfiriato. You don't have a strong basis for industry (you don't have a lot of coal and railroads which are your main ingredients for industry) so I would do something similar to what Argentina did and become a huge agricultural exporter. This will get you rich fast, and if democratic governments emphasize liberal economic policies, you could really see huge exports of crops like tomatoes, strawberries, WHEAT, avocados being sent to Europe, Mexico, the US, Carolina, Poemia, the world is your customer. Argentina did this and got rich fast, and it helped them really build up their country. Then yeah, build your military, building them railroads, and inadvertently some industry will come with it.
j. I don't see why you would join World War I tbh.
k. The twenties are likely a time of growth but something similar to what you have had since the 1860's. Likely a bit of European immigrants land here because of the devastation in Europe. Eventually your growth is going to decline though and that's where we lead to point L:
l. Okay this is where the rubber meets the road. You likely wouldn't have a very smooth time after the Great Depression. This is with about every Latin American country, there is a period of growth and then a period of turmoil. Idk what this is, you don't need a civil war like in Mexico but some drama is kinda needed in Latin America, especially when you have big crises like the Great Depression. Also, your growth has likely created a bit of inequality so you might want to consider like a populist president like Vargas or Peron.
m. I have no problems with you joining World War II after Pearl Harbor, all good there :)
n. I'm sorry but you aren't working with the US on the Manhattan Project. There is just literally no way. Its way to secret and the US isn't going to want you to learn how to make Atomic bombs.
o. You would not be in NATO, sorry but its literally in the name, you aren't in the Atlantic. Not even Mexico is in NATO. I can accept the whole nuclear sharing thing.
p. You could likely see something similar to the Mexican Miracle in your country under the right circumstances, but I would say its still not entirely democratic (hasn't quite recovered from the 1930's). You don't have to have a coup every other year like Brazil or Argentina (:P) but you also likely aren't a poster child for democracy.
q. Be weary of making your army to big, that makes the army to powerful and has led to military coups across Latin America.
r. Okay I'm stopping here on the history. I think it's to westernized (America/West Europe based) for a Latin American country. You would see growth but not the high tech booms you are talking about. I'd just revise this part, maybe taking influences from Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, etc.

Okay so I get this might be kind of harsh, it's a lot of points because yeah I do find a bit of flaws in this application. I wouldn't vote for it as it is but with a bit of work it could be good ;)
ulisse

Post by ulisse » June 27th 2018, 7:25 am

Corrected the flag, arranged CoA, revised some data and corrected some translation errors.

I would like to make a clarification on the first piece (the discovery of the island until the war of Independence) of the history of the nation. The story of Coronadas is connected with the history of Poemia since they both share pieces of history
Member State Since 10th December 2015 Director of Public Services From March 1, 2017 to February 28, 2018 - Director of Culture Since March 1, 2018 - Director of Infrastructure Since 1, 2018
Gregor
Nation: Oka & Malerno

Post by Gregor » June 27th 2018, 5:49 pm

I think Kendall got many points in his post, I'll give my honest advice on two topics dear to me, the graphical side of the application and the reason of it.

While I like the attempt of taking pictures from movies paintings, video games, it is something I did myself I question the following things, are there enough graphics of the same place? do you have a database of images, or an extremly detailed map to hang onto?

I understand defining a sort of retro californian aesthetic but I believe it lacks in development at this point and should be seriously reworked.

Maybe an interactive map, self made pictures, details, plans of the cities, something more that would make this a whole lot more enthusiastic

The general impression I would get of the application, and applications without SC4/CS/Original content is that they can easily seem rushed, or half lovingly made it is a feeling I've had myself with my original application
_____________ Image Oka City AIN Cultural Capital 2018
ulisse

Re: Federal Republic of Navarro

Post by ulisse » June 28th 2018, 7:19 pm

I redesigned the application and changed images, name of the nation, flag, CoA and some data and I performed a review of the story.
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance

Re: Federal Republic of Alcantara

Post by kendallhart808 » June 28th 2018, 11:00 pm

No. Quite frankly I think this application ran in the wrong direction. For starters, I think the flag is a recolored version of Siculias flag and looks sort of cheap. I think the cost of arms looks cheap as well. Your new location doesn’t really go with the other islands on the pacific coast like Kingston and Poemia. There also are more historically errors now, for instance there’s no way Mexico could control islands that far out, and it’s unlikely Spain would have a strong foothold there either since that area was never their focus. Your history continues to look like a copy and paste of US history for a long time especially in the 20th century. I’m disappointed, I wanted to see more. Also is the name Alacantra or Navarro I need you to explain what’s going on.
ulisse

Re: Federal Republic of Lower California

Post by ulisse » August 14th 2018, 10:32 am

I have published a new version of the application. I have revised all the structure of the application and changed the name of the nation
kendallhart808
Speaker of the Alliance
Speaker of the Alliance

Post by kendallhart808 » August 17th 2018, 2:44 am

I think this update is really in the right direction. I don't have any major problems with your history, and your stats seem fine in my opinion. I've always thought there could be a good country in this region so I'm glad someone is working on it.

I agree with Greg it would be nice to see a little bit more development from this though. At least a domestic map of some sort so we can place things. Like I'm not sure where San Escobar or Port Crescent is because they aren't real cities in this region. Other than that, I think you are on the right track :)
jons11
Nation: Poemia

Post by jons11 » August 17th 2018, 11:26 am

I've not big problems with this, you story seems good but i would like to see more personalization and also some images from cities skylines or simcity 4
ulisse

Post by ulisse » August 26th 2018, 5:49 pm

Updated the application. Inserted the map of the nation where the cities are shown, the highway network, railway, high speed railroad and the map of the airports
InvaderNat
Nation: Neu Westfalen

Post by InvaderNat » August 26th 2018, 9:21 pm

I don't mind this app, but I hope you keep Siculia as your main. I find it more unique and interesting.
Michael
President of the Alliance
President of the Alliance
Nation: Mikenstein & Sint Cunera

Post by Michael » August 26th 2018, 11:49 pm

I do agree with Nat, I would prefer Siculia to be kept as the main, but aside from that, I have no issues here.
(Also, on a note - there is no legal framework for determining what nation is primary and secondary. It used to not matter, but now there is this new voting rule in place, perhaps a public declaration would be good once approved (aside from the current map colouring difference))
Image---------------Image WikiForum-----------------------------WikiForum----

Member State since 5th March 2016
Global Moderator since 4th March 2017
President since 1st March 2018

Send me a message!
Charlie
Nation: New Duveland & Zambezi

Post by Charlie » August 27th 2018, 5:34 am

What’s the reasoning for San Diego to be included ?
Otherwise really nice app. Although the pop seems to be fluffed up a bit compared to the irl ~10 mill. Not too much of a deal though.
Image Image Image Image
ulisse

Post by ulisse » August 27th 2018, 1:09 pm

Charlie wrote:
August 27th 2018, 5:34 am
What’s the reasoning for San Diego to be included ?
Otherwise really nice app. Although the pop seems to be fluffed up a bit compared to the irl ~10 mill. Not too much of a deal though.
San Diego in 1843 housed a garrison of Mexican forces had been regarded as a threat to the capital and survival of the state being born. So the conquest of the city has become a fundamental goal. After the conquest the army had available an arsenal to defend the state.
However I had to add 4 million inhabitants to manage the cities well. With 10 million (Real data of the whole region) I have little space maneuvering.
stanisolt
Nation: Amuria

Re: Side Nation: Federal Republic of Lower California

Post by stanisolt » September 1st 2018, 5:37 pm

I think this application is looking good and can go to voting :)
"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month." - Fyodor Dostoyevskyy

Return to “Membership Office”