Cartographic Committee discussions

Find all you need to know about the AIN in here - maps, wiki articles, union resources and in-depth details about events and union life.
Will

Cartographic Committee discussions

Post by Will » September 29th 2013, 11:58 am

The new Union map will be saved as a Scalable vector graphic (svg) file. This way we can have no loss of quality at closer zoom levels.

The current base map is a Mercator projection, found here.

Editing the map:
When editing the map, you must use a vector graphics program. These include Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape. Inkscape can be downloaded for free, here (will start direct download).

Steps for adding a nation:
1. Once you have a template for the shape of the nation, you will need to sketch this onto the map. Make sure you have no layers selected before beginning tracing.
Use the 'bezier curves and straight lines' tool (Shift+F6) to draw out the nation. This tool keeps the lines looking clean and smooth, unlike the Pencil tool.
If a nation has multiple islands or dependencies, you can draw them separately and then group them together. Do this by selecting all the objects you want to be included either by drawing a box around them or Shift+click on the object you want to include. Then group them by Object > Group or Shift+G.

Warning: Do not delete the real life nations that might be covered by member states. If one of these member states were to leave, then you can simply delete the object and not have to redraw the real nation.

2. After you have completed drawing around the nation, you will need to assign a fill colour and border.
-Select the area you want to colour
-Open the 'Fill and Stroke' menu, either by Object > Fill and Stroke or Shift+Ctrl+F.
-Above you can see the nation selected and the Fill and Stroke window open. It also shows the current colour data used for member states, you can enter this in or eyedropper (F7) it from another already coloured object.
-You will need to set the lines at a width of 1.000 pixels. Do this by selecting the stroke style tab and using the arrows to adjust the width. The border should be plain white.
-Once you have done this, you should be done! You'll need to make sure that you haven't put the nation on its own tab and have grouped all of its territories together.

Uploading and storing the map
Once you have made your adjustments to the map, upload it to Dropbox, that way you can link it here and others can download it to make future edits.

When you have edited the map, you'll need to provide a changelog to show what you have done.

Template:

Code: Select all

[b]Date:[/b]
[b]Changes made:[/b]
[b]Link:[/b]
More to come soon...
Will

Re: Union Map

Post by Will » September 29th 2013, 12:03 pm

I made this thread to show anybody how to edit the map. It's probably a bit much, but in future we could open it to everybody to edit the map.

Current progress: 30/9/2013 - Microstate dots removed. Addition of Histalpol, Leeonia, Goverland, Corraile, Cattala, Hiigara (including Crete), Sainte-Croix (including dependencies), Soviyya, Okatabawashi.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167 ... 030913.svg
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » September 29th 2013, 12:55 pm

Should say this isn't just Will, it's between Me and Will working on this xD
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 22nd 2013, 9:28 pm

Current progress: 22/10/2013 - All nations (excluding Neu Westfalen, which will be discussed later) added. Nations names added (to be decided on colour). Dependencies added (To be confirmed and added by next update). Water Borders added for clarity. Temporally exported to Bitmap (PNG) for non-DropBox users.Suggested Zoom (250%)

SVG Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/447 ... %201.2.svg

Hope this is okay for now Will, Zack, Cons, we can talk over Skype about the topics above, but this is my day worth of contributions or so.
Last edited by YingBlanc on October 28th 2013, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will

Post by Will » October 23rd 2013, 7:05 pm

I'm not sure why you've made most country's shapes differently. Also, there won't be any names or those lines on the map. You've mixed up Galbadia and Ascadylea too.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm

It's not different, it should all be the same as it is on the map, the only one that isn't shaped the same is Calaré. The rest is because this map is so different in proportions to the one before it, that you can't copy a country exactly. Also I'm fine with that, the names are on a separate layer, but how will people know what country is what? I find it hard already and I know all the countries. And anyway, I'd prefer you make your changes and not tell me what I got wrong please :P
Will

Post by Will » October 23rd 2013, 7:12 pm

Well, I can't make any changes until I get back, but Asgard's and Veratlantia's shape looks much different.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 23rd 2013, 7:14 pm

Asgard and Veratlantia are the 2 that have not changed at all, they were actually the right size for this map in the first place so...Though Veratlantia may be a bit south of it's original position, since it should be closer to Europe than Africa...
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 27th 2013, 4:23 pm

Will...PLEAAAAAASE Can we have names on the map PLEAAAAAAAAASE ;( ;( ;( it's confusing me so much not much the countries but more the dependencies :( it confuses me so much and I want people who know what piece of land is whose, I just see no real point NOT having the names on. Can we please just talk about it some more, cause I really want names on it.
Zack

Post by Zack » October 28th 2013, 6:08 am

I, for one, support labeling member states and including water borders. However, it would probably be best to put them on separate layers, so we can easily show or hide them before exporting bitmap versions. We should also use the same font for all labels, preferably one that we all have.

As for @YingBlanc 's new version: Most of Lower Columbia's land borders are wrong; the diagonal borders on your version should be vertical, since lines of longitude are vertical in the Mercator projection. I'd fix it myself, but your Dropbox link gives me a 403 (forbidden) error message. When posting Dropbox links, just right-click on the file in your local Dropbox folder and choose "Copy public link". That way, all of us can access the file.

I'll edit the map myself once I can access Ying's version of the SVG file. I suspect that I'll have to adjust a lot of countries to better fit the projection.
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 28th 2013, 9:45 am

Thanks Zack, and I do have it on 2 layers, countries, and names and water borders. Thanks Zack, that was the main problem with the map and me fitting the new countries in, the states are different because of the Mercator change, but how I could have fixed it I have no clue.

And Thanks for telling me about the "Copy public link", I'll get a new link asap.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcyjx6xk7rt6t ... %201.2.svg Is this it Zack? I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING T_T Can't I just send it to you over Skype Zack?
Zack

Post by Zack » October 28th 2013, 9:38 pm

Nope, that's still the wrong link. The public link should look like the one Will posted earlier, i.e. it should begin with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/ . If you have a Dropbox folder on your computer (which you most likely do, if you have an account), just navigate there in Windows Explorer, enter the Public folder in it, and right-click on the SVG file. You should see an option to "Copy public link" in the dropdown menu; click that, and the link will be automatically saved to your clipboard. Then, just press Ctrl-V when writing a new reply here to paste the link into your post.

Sharing the files this way is much more convenient than trying to send them via Skype (at least, when done correctly), because we don't have to be online at the same time to share files. Since I'm rarely online at the same time as you nowadays, it's practically the only viable way we have for sharing files.
NYHAVEN
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 28th 2013, 10:04 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/447 ... %201.2.svg

I think this is it, working now? Thanks for that sooo much Zack, Thanks for understanding as well, something Will doesn't seem to do :(

Also now that Nat told me Neu Westfalen is on the other side of the date line, and can be put closer to America than Australia, I'll put that in (if Zack doesn't put it in for me)

Also I still don't like how broken up some of the thinner islands seem, so maybe we can tone down the line size for the islands please?
Zack

Post by Zack » October 28th 2013, 10:13 pm

Yes, that's correct. Good job, Ying! :)

I'll make my promised changes once I'm not looking at these forums on my iPhone. I'll also look into that issue with the island outlines.

Edit: I'm going to correct LCO's shape myself, but for future reference, here's what its land borders look like in Mercator: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... Qadf9DCoEs
NYHAVEN
Zack

Post by Zack » October 29th 2013, 12:13 am

Double-post to say:

Date: 28 October 2013
Changes made: Corrected Lower Columbia, and removed strokes from several islands. This method is likely the best way to deal with the rather thin appaearance of the smaller islands.
Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/547 ... 131028.svg
NYHAVEN

Return to “Library of the Alliance”