AINWiki Home Page

Find all you need to know about the AIN in here - maps, wiki articles, union resources and in-depth details about events and union life.
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

Re: AINWiki Home Page

Post by Thomas » October 6th 2013, 5:19 pm

I think it would be easier than updating the topic each week and then realising there are big gaps. We don't know if there will be until its posted.
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 6th 2013, 5:54 pm

I do feel that there is indeed need to fill in the big gaps before they occur, so maybe it will work indeed, but we'll see I guess.

The thing is, the reason me and Loony didn't do it originally, was based on the Wikipedia format for a separate list for every day, but the absence of events will probably mean that this could be possibly in 1 article. This was purely based off the fact that we didn't know how much events will have been recorded for every week before now.
Zack

Post by Zack » October 7th 2013, 8:00 am

I rather like Thomas's idea and support the creation of such an article.

Also somewhat relevant to the present discussion is an issue that's been bugging me recently - the proper way to write numbers. Since numbers appear quite frequently, not just in our historical event summaries, but also on many of the wiki articles we write, it's important that we all know how to properly write different numbers based on both their size and location within a sentence. For brevity's sake, here's my quick-'n'-dirty summary of the rules:
  • Single-digit numbers should always be spelled out, i.e. one, five, eight.
  • Larger numbers that are composed of one or two words may, generally, be either spelled out or written with numerals, i.e. 16/sixteen, 40/forty, 99/ninety-nine. For an important exception, see below.
  • Numbers that are composed of more than two words should almost always be written with numerals, i.e. 125, 2013, 300,000. This applies to numbers ending in thousand (see my last example), but for numbers ending in million or any larger number word, spell that word out after using numerals for the larger part, i.e. 21 million, 7.1 billion. Don't misapply this exception and write hybrid forms such as 300 thousand.
  • Numbers at the beginning of a sentence should always be spelled out, no matter how big they are. For numbers in dates, you're better off simply rewriting the sentence so that it doesn't begin with the number.
By way of an example, take a look at this screenshot from a Los Angeles Times article:

Any questions? :P
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
Will

Post by Will » October 7th 2013, 9:13 am

Thanks for making it clear for everybody, Zack! :)
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 7th 2013, 2:33 pm

I agree totally Zack, that's fine by me, but I also need to raise the statement on dates as well, when imputting a date, don't put "th" or "st" or "rd" or whatever others there is, make it a single number then the month. So for example 21 December or 5 August.

Edit: I have decided to step down as Wiki Admin and I won't be doing any other wiki-making apart from article on Histalpol (and AIN-Vision...but mostly Histalpol) and articles I have already made, I will no longer be continuing the On This Week section either, or anything on the main page.
Will

Post by Will » October 7th 2013, 9:25 pm

Why is that Ying? :^)
Zack

Post by Zack » October 7th 2013, 10:47 pm

That's a bit of an extreme reaction to a simple correction, don't you think? If you want to improve your writing, try to learn from your mistakes rather than throw in the towel at the first sign of criticism. :)
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » October 7th 2013, 10:51 pm

I agree with Zack. :) It's okay if you didn't know about this number rule; most of us probably didn't (I, for one, didn't really know and didn't pay much attention to it). You're doing a fantastic job, Ying, and I implore you to remain as wiki admin.
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 8th 2013, 2:47 pm

Nono it's not because of the correction, it's just, the amount of reasons to quit overpass those of not quitting.

That and your always really harsh :(
Thomas

Post by Thomas » October 8th 2013, 4:17 pm

I think you're doing an incredible job as a Wiki administrator and you're leading the way in creating a wiki the union can be proud of. The numbers thing is nit-picking and not a major issue - I don't strictly follow it myself - so I really hope that isn't the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 8th 2013, 4:18 pm

nono, nothing was the straw that broke the camel's back, and you all really think I'm really improving the Wiki? I doubt so myself, I mean what have I done that the whole union participates in?
Last edited by YingBlanc on October 8th 2013, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » October 8th 2013, 6:06 pm

The wiki is vastly improved since you joined the AIN. Immensely so.
The homepage looks much better, the AINVision 2013 page is a helluva lot better than I could have managed and you've kept all of the lists up to date which is a tall order for anyone.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 8th 2013, 6:18 pm

But all those could be accomplished without need to be a wiki admin, plus what Zack said is right, I should have really asked to make the page on AINVision 2013 before I created it (well...it's not needed because I'm MCAS xD) but yeah, I'm bearing mind for Intellectual Property. But yeah, it's nothing that I couldn't do without Admin powers. But meh, maybe I spoke too quick, but for now my choice stands, cause there's still more reason to not be admin, but I guess I should take more thought...
Thomas

Post by Thomas » October 8th 2013, 7:05 pm

I think I'm right in saying only administrators can edit the Wiki homepage.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » October 8th 2013, 7:10 pm

Yeah, only Administrators can, but surely whoever the next admin will be will also keep up to date as well surely :P

Return to “Library of the Alliance”