iMonth - February 2013

Find all you need to know about the AIN in here - maps, wiki articles, union resources and in-depth details about events and union life.
Thomas
Nation: Cattala

iMonth - February 2013

Post by Thomas » February 8th 2013, 5:42 pm

[centre]Image[/centre]

This month, we'll be celebrating the Information side of the Ministry, with a focus on Maps, National Profiles and the Wiki. The Library of the Alliance has been featured so we can all give Profiles of our countries and create special versions of the union map. Once again the Wiki will become a focus too, as we'll try and beat the amount of activity we achieved in October.

We have Journals: Why do we need wiki's too?

Our former Vice President and now-honourary member, Peter, put it much better than I can in the first wiki drive. "the wiki is the reader's digest for your City Notebook."

If I need to find out Atlantsia's population, I go to the wiki. If I need to see when Queen Alexandra ascended to the throne, I can quickly look at my wiki pages to see the exact date. "Easy reference info: wiki - more in depth details and pictures: City Notebooks"

But it's full of coding and hard stuff!

Nonsense! The wiki is quite easy to use once you get the hang of it, and 95% of the stuff you do will be repeated, like using [[['s for headings and links. Over the coming days, we'll be posting a tutorial for you all to get a basic hang of the wiki and its functions. You can also copy the coding from other member's pages and simply change it for your own country - it's as simple as writing a post here!

Are there going to be incentives again? Please say yes.

A complete national profile? REWARDS. Some stylish new union maps? REWARDS. Creating a detailed wiki page? REWARDS. Over the next few weeks we'll be rewarding members who contribute the most. These rewards can be used to boost your election campaign and will be invaluable if you're planning to run for the AINSI Commissioner position after the election.

Ooh fun. Are there any rules?

Obviously we don't want people running around breaking people's pages. Be considerate when editing general pages and try to avoid editing or changing another member's page without permission. The wiki is an extension of both the union and your country, so let's keep it civil and not god mode whenever we get the chance!

[centre]Explore the wiki. Clicky.[/centre]
Member of the AIN: 7 February 2010 - 1 January 2015
Permanent Administrator: 5 June 2010 - 1 April 2013
Second President of the Alliance: 17 September 2010 - 22 September 2011
YingBlanc

Re: iMonth - February 2013

Post by YingBlanc » February 8th 2013, 5:47 pm

YES! Getting into ma zone nows 8)

also has this officially started NOW, because I'm doing major work to the wiki xD
Thomas

Post by Thomas » February 8th 2013, 6:53 pm

This started on the 1st February but officially is starting today. Because I was away on the 1st and busy with other things for the past week. :)
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc » February 8th 2013, 7:17 pm

ahhhhhh, so all my contibutions before the 1st would be included...I REALLY want an award xD
Ace

Post by Ace » February 8th 2013, 9:21 pm

If anyone else wants to take a shot at the map, be my guest :P
just remember to not let the imagehosting site resize it and keep it in .png format
Will

Post by Will » February 8th 2013, 10:00 pm

I think Zack was going to look at a new map using a Mercator projection, as the Robinson is not kind to the Oceanic region. I will work on my wiki and get the prize ]:)
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » February 8th 2013, 11:21 pm

Rewards? Awwwwww, yeeeeeeehhhh... :P
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
BoeingCity

Post by BoeingCity » February 9th 2013, 12:23 am

Hooray! Time to add more wiki contributions to my already added ones.
bigro

Post by bigro » February 9th 2013, 2:45 am

maps you say.

I'll throw about some statistical ones soon
That one guy
BoeingCity

Post by BoeingCity » February 9th 2013, 3:14 am

Thomas, so wait, we will be creating threads for our maps and stuff? Or will there be a specific place?
Thomas

Post by Thomas » February 9th 2013, 9:52 am

All map threads have now been created. Asia's thread is further down this forum as it was already made. A National Profile thread will be created later in the month, so start working on those today! :)
Zack

Post by Zack » February 17th 2013, 2:48 am

I've gone ahead and updated the old list of AIN nations by population on the wiki to our current membership. A lot of members don't have any information on their national area on the wiki, which is why so many member nations' areas and population densities are missing from the table. If you're one of them, and you decide to figure out your national area and density, plase keep the following in mind when adding those figures to this table:
  • Area should be rounded to the nearest square kilometer.
  • Population density, if it's not obvious, is total population (from the table) divided by total area in square kilometers.
  • Population density should be rounded to the nearest tenth of a person/km2 in the table unless it's less than 10/km2, in which case it should be rounded to the nearest hundredth of a person/km2. Use the figures already in the table as examples if you're unclear what I mean here. :P
I've also created a new list of AIN nations by total GDP (PPP) from the data on the GDPpc list's talk page. Enjoy! :D
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
RedAurora
Persona non grata
Persona non grata

Post by RedAurora » February 17th 2013, 3:29 am

The Asian nations are leading the GDP list, go figure. :P

Glad to see that QLD is the second largest nation, by area, in the AIN. :P
أراهن هذا جعلك تذهب إلى ترجمة جوجل
Zack

Post by Zack » February 17th 2013, 8:50 am

On Will's sugestion, I've put together another a list of AIN nations by HDI. Two nations (Hiigara and Westfield) have no HDI information on the wiki (and I was unable to find an HDI figure for New York State, which Westfield is explicitly based on) and so are not ranked. Cons and IAM, this is your cue to add HDI figures to your countries' wiki articles! ;)

The completion of this list means that you can now put ranks in your countries' infoboxes for every category except area and population density (since a lot of our members don't have any data for those two categories). If you add any of those ranks, please remember to include the ordinal suffixes after the numbers (e.g. type "1st", not just "1"). If your native language isn't English and you need a refresher on what the appropriate ordinal suffix for a given number is, refer to the following handy cheat sheet:
  • X1st EXCEPT 11th
  • X2nd EXCEPT 12th
  • X3rd EXCEPT 13th
  • X4th, X5th, X6th, X7th, X8th, X9th, X0th
Enjoy! :D
Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN
Will

Post by Will » February 17th 2013, 8:52 am

I do have good Ideas :D This is a great list Zack :D But some of them need tweaking I think :P

Return to “Library of the Alliance”